Community Garden Compost Program
The City of Minneapolis will provide Community Gardens with low or no-cost compost.
Compost Requests and Deliveries
Qualifying community gardens may request one delivery of up to 10 cubic yards of compost. The amount of compost and the number of compost deliveries are limited, and not guaranteed.
Compost and compost deliveries are provided on a first-come, first-served basis. However, community gardens that have never received compost, have poor soil quality, or are start-up gardens will get priority.
Please note that the compost season depends on the weather. Very cold or snowy weather can affect when the season starts or ends.
Compost Deliveries - What to Expect
Compost is delivered using a dump truck as shown on the right. Before placing your compost request, please make sure that your requested delivery location...
- can be accessed by a large dump truck
- does not have any overhead power lines or trees
- is accessible without crossing over a sidewalk. Delivery vehicles are heavy and are unable to cross over sidewalks.
Compost Amount - What to Expect
One cubic yard of compost will be approximately 3 feet wide by 3 feet high by 3 feet deep when delivered.
A single cubic yard of compost is enough to fill the bed of a small pickup truck.
- Spring/Summer: 400 cubic yards of no-cost compost and 30 no-cost deliveries are available.
- Fall: 200 cubic yards of no-cost compost and 15 deliveries are available.
- Amount: 1,000 cubic yards of low-cost compost is available for Spring/Summer or Fall delivery.
- Low-cost compost is 50% off the retail price at $9.50 per cubic yard, plus delivery.
- Deliveries: An unlimited supply of deliveries are available for Spring/Summer or Fall compost.
- A delivery fee of $120 per delivery will apply for all deliveries south of 94/394 and a delivery fee of $130 will apply for all deliveries north of 94/394.