Public Works

Solid Waste & Recycling

309 2nd Ave S., Room 210
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2281

Contact Information

Illegal Dumping

Illegal dumping is a form of littering, but the amount of material is greater, usually more than one (1) cubic foot.  Includes depositing of garbage, litter or other items:   

·      on private property, without the property owner’s permission.
·      into any garbage can, dumpster or other receptacle located on the property of another.
·     depositing household garbage in containers designated for public use.


How to report illegal dumping

1.     To report illegal dumping on public or private property, dial 3-1-1 or call 612-673-3000.

2.     If you see illegal dumping in progress, call 9-1-1 and report it as a crime in progress.

3.     Never confront an illegal dumper.  Instead, write down details like the description of the person, type of vehicle, vehicle markings, a license plate number, or look through the illegally dumped material for identifying information such as post-marked mail.  Provide this information when reporting the crime.


What happens after my report?

Reports of illegal dumping on private property are handled by the Division of Solid Waste and Recycling.  Solid Waste and Recycling will:

·         provide low or no-cost disposal options.

·         provide prevention tips and/or refer victims to their Crime Prevention Specialist for information.

·         collect evidence and photograph debris.

·         process and validate evidence for use in identifying the violator and pursuing enforcement actions.


Acceptable Evidence:

·        A license plate number and vehicle description of the vehicle used to haul and dump the debris.
·        One or more pieces of named, addressed and postmarked mail found in the dumped material.


·        Evidence is not required to report illegal dumping.
·        City employees do not go through illegally dumped material to find identifying evidence.

How is evidence validated?

 Mail evidence is valid if:

·        addressed to a person.
·        has a postmark from the United States Postal Service. 
·        name and address are verified as current.
·        it can be reasonably assumed that the mail was dumped with the material.


Vehicle evidence is valid if:

·        the license plate number, make, model and color of the reported vehicle match the registered vehicle
·        the license plate number is not listed as stolen or inactive.
·        the license plate is registered in the State of Minnesota


Who is responsible for clean-up?


Illegally dumped material becomes the responsibility of the property owner where the debris was dumped. 


The Division of Solid Waste and Recycling will provide victims with disposal options.  In rare cases, clean-up services are provided to victims of illegal dumping if evidence is provided, the evidence is determined to be valid, and can be used to identify and contact the violator.


How can I stop illegal dumping?


·       Keep your garbage, recycling and organics carts in your garage or yard until collection day.

·       Use flood or motion detector lighting along your alley line, or in your yard.

·       Keep your property clean.  Illegal dumpers are more likely to add to existing trash.

·       Keep your neighborhood tidy.  Organize or support a community clean-up event, or consider  participating in the Adopt-A-Block or Adopt-A-Street/Highway program.

·       Talk to your neighbors.  Start a neighborhood watch program in your area.

·       Hire only reputable contractors and waste haulers.  Insist on transfer station receipts before making your final payment.

·       Contact your Crime Prevention Specialist for additional prevention details by calling 3-1-1 or call 612-673-3000.  Ask to be connected with the Crime Prevention Specialist for your neighborhood.    






Last updated Dec 10, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Solid Waste & Recycling Services  ©1997-2019 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo