Winter Parking Basics
Minneapolis has ordinances that govern on-street parking in the winter to ensure that our snow plowing crews are able to clear snow off city streets. These ordinances apply to on-street parking under certain conditions:
- Before and during heavy snowfalls;
- After heavy snowfalls; and
- When snow has accumulated as a result of several snowfalls.
These ordinances provide a system for moving parked vehicles so crews can plow snow from the full width of streets, including the parking lanes. This helps get snow cleared as completely as possible so that traffic, especially emergency vehicles, can navigate city streets all winter long.
Do your part - understand and follow the rules
To help keep streets plowed, residents and visitors who use on-street parking in Minneapolis should pay attention to the weather and be familiar with these winter parking rules. Then stay tuned during the snow season (roughly November to April) so you know when such rules may be enforced.
Remember, people who come to Minneapolis to visit, shop or enjoy some entertainment may not be familiar with these rules. You can help by telling your guests, customers and employees about Minneapolis Snow Emergencies and other Winter Parking rules .
Or risk a ticket and a tow
Those who dont follow Snow Emergency or other winter parking rules could receive a parking ticket and get their vehicle towed to the Minneapolis Impound Lot.
Winter parking rules to watch for:
- Snow Emergencies. After a heavy snowfall, the City may declare a Snow Emergency before 6 p.m. on any given day. This puts a sequence of parking rules into effect that span a three-day period. See Snow Emergency Parking Rules for a complete description.
- Temporary signs. Streets and alleys are often plowed, sanded and salted without a Snow Emergency declaration. Temporary "No Parking" signs will be posted if necessary.
- Winter Parking Restrictions. When there is significant snowfall during the season, accumulating snow on city streets can make it difficult for emergency and public safety vehicles to navigate. If streets become too narrow, the City can declare Winter Parking Restrictions. When Winter Parking Restrictions are in effect, parking is prohibited on the EVEN side of non-Snow Emergency routes until the snow season official ends on April 1, or conditions warrant lifting the restrictions.
Important note: o utlets which will be provided the proper parking procedures during winter parking restrictions.
- Severe winter storm warning. When a major storm is predicted, Minneapolis may impose temporary parking restrictions IN ADVANCE of the storm. In these cases, parking may be prohibited on the EVEN side of non-Snow Emergency routes for up to 48 hours.
Last updated Nov 16, 2011