The main purpose of the Ride-Along Program is to improve police and public relations by familiarizing participants with the complex and unpredictable nature of police work. It can also be a great introduction to daily life on the police force.
- Participants must normally be 18 years old.
- MPD grants permission for youths involved in department-sponsored law enforcement programs; Police Explorers and the Police Athletic League (P.A.L.).
- Participants under 18 must have the parent's or guardian's authorization.
- No one under 16 years old and not involved in a department-sponsored program will be authorized without the written permission of the Police Chief, or Assistant Chief or Deputy Chief.
- Ride-Alongs for participant under the age of 18 are limited to riding during the Day or Mid shifts.
- A Ride-Along is typically four hours (maximum of two hours for participants under the age of 18).
- Participants will be assigned to a squad or vehicle with two officers.
- Ride-Alongs are limited to one participant per squad or vehicle.
- Officers will instruct Ride-Along participants of expected behavior prior to the ride.
- Ride-Along participants are not authorized to operate any MPD equipment.
- Failure to comply the directives of the officers, or improperly getting involved in a situation, will end the Ride-Along.
- Officers may terminate a Ride-Along at any time.
Ride-Along Program Authorization
- Each applicant in a Ride-Along must read and complete a Ride-Along Program Release Form (MP-3009) prior to the ride-along.
- Officers may request any additional information they deem necessary to screen the applicant.
- Applicant should present proper identification to officers or supervisors at the time of the Ride-Along.
- Supervisors and officers may evaluate the Ride-Along applicant immediately prior to the ride, making the final approval or denial decision at that time.
- Applicants who are not approved for the Ride-Along Program will be notified at the earliest opportunity and provided with the reasons for the denial.
If you are interested in the Ride-Along Program, contact the Precinct Commander of the Precinct you are interested in riding in.
Last updated Jul 23, 2018