Crime Lab Unit
Minneapolis City Hall, Room 316
350 South 5th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415-1389
- Retrieve and analyze data on computer systems, cellular phones, tablets, optical discs, flash drives, and other digital storage media.
- Provide information and assistance with search warrants and administrative subpoenas involving internet service providers and cellular telephone providers.
- Conduct proactive investigations related to child exploitation utilizing peer-to-peer technology, statewide proactive internet child pornography distribution and possession investigations.
- Active participant in the Minnesota Internet Crimes against Children Task Force and the Minnesota Cyber Crime Task Force.
The Digital Media section provides various digital services for the Minneapolis Police Department.
- Examine, document, process, and collect evidence at crime scenes and in the Lab.
- Examine friction ridge impressions.
- Bloodstain pattern analysis, footwear and tire track impression analysis and Conductive Energy Device (CED) evidence analysis.
- The Field Operations section is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Firearms and Toolmarks
- Examine firearm and toolmark evidence.
- Maintains IBIS (Integrated Ballistic Identification System), which is used an aid in discovering potential links between crime scenes and their firearms evidence.
- Examine vehicles and other large items related to a crime.
- Assist in the execution of search warrants.
- Conduct VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) verification.
- Examine video for evidentiary content, isolate and enhance still video images, analog to digital conversion, make video viewable on City network computers.
- Audio analysis.
- Recover video from DVR's.
- Comparative analysis and prepare timelines.
The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office provides fingerprinting services; please contact them for additional information.
AFIS (Automated Fingerprint Identification System)
- Maintains the AFIS computer system which provides access to 2 separate databases; the regional database (Midwest Automated Fingerprint Identification Network- MAFIN) which consists of records submitted by Minnesota, South Dakota and North Dakota law enforcement agencies and the National database (Next Generation Identification System - NGI) which consists of records submitted by state and federal agencies.
- The examiner in AFIS, as well as the examiners in the Field Operations section enter recovered friction ridge impressions into the AFIS System to assist in identifying unknown friction ridge impressions
Last updated Jul 30, 2018