Crime Lab Unit
The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office provides fingerprinting services; please contact them for additional information.
- We retrieve and analyze data on digital devices.
- We help with search warrants and subpoenas involving internet service and cell phone providers.
- We do proactive investigations related to child victimization.
- We are part of the Minnesota Internet Crimes against Children Task Force and the Minnesota Cyber Crime Task Force.
- We provide a number of digital services for the Minneapolis Police Department.
- We examine, document, process, and collect evidence at crime scenes and in the lab.
- We examine fingerprints.
- We analyze bloodstain patterns, footwear and tire track impressions and taser evidence.
- We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Firearms and Toolmarks
- We examine firearm and toolmark evidence.
- We maintain IBIS (Integrated Ballistic Identification System). Its gun specific information helps link crime scenes and their firearms evidence.
- We examine vehicles and other large items related to a crime.
- We help serve search warrants.
- We do VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) verification.
- Examine video for evidentiary content and make it available to investigators
- We do audio analysis.
- We recover video from DVR's.
- We do comparative analysis and prepare timelines.
AFIS (Automated Fingerprint Identification System)
- We maintain the AFIS computer system which provides access to 2 different fingerprint databases.
- The regional database (Midwest Automated Fingerprint Identification Network- MAFIN) which stores records from Minnesota, South Dakota and North Dakota law enforcement agencies.
- The National database (Next Generation Identification System - NGI) which stores of records submitted by state and federal agencies.
Crime Lab Contact Information:
Minneapolis City Hall, Room 316
350 South 5th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415-1389
Last updated Mar 12, 2019