Crimes Against Vulnerable Adults
Abuse. Generally defined as assault but also covers areas such as sexual assault, force or coercing the vulnerable adult to do acts they would not normally do, use of unreasonable acts, verbal or physical, that would be derogatory or humiliating to the vulnerable adult.
Financial Exploitation. When a person takes advantage of the vulnerable adult's situation to obtain unauthorized money, this can include fraud, theft, forgery, and any other type of financial exploitation.
Neglect. The failure of a caretaker to provide a vulnerable adult with needed care or services. This includes medical, clothing, food, shelter, and supervision. The vulnerable adult may be self-neglecting as well.
How to Report Maltreatment of a Vulnerable Adult.
Call 844-880-1574. (24/7)
The information will be recorded and a report will be made to the appropriate agency and local law enforcement. They will review the report and take any action deemed necessary.
- Response To a Report of Maltreatment of a Vulnerable Adult
- Based upon the report submitted to the CEP, one or more of the following agencies will get involved:
- Law Enforcement. When suspected criminal activity is alleged to have occurred (assault, sexual assault, theft, financial exploitation, etc.).
- Local County Agency/Adult Protection. When the vulnerable adult needs immediate protection or the incident does not involve a facility.
- Minnesota Department of Health. Incident occurred in a facility licensed or required to be licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health (hospitals, home care providers, nursing homes, residential care homes, or boarding homes).
- Department of Human Services. Incident occurred in a facility licensed or required to be licensed by the Department of Human Services (adult day care, adult foster care, programs for people with developmental disabilities, mental health programs, chemical health programs, or personal care provider organizations.)
An investigation by the appropriate agency will be completed and once this is done, a finding will be issued.
Last updated Aug 31, 2018