Forgery and Fraud

 Forgery and Fraud Unit

If You Have Accepted a Forged Check from Someone:  

Call 911 to request a police officer come to your residence or business. The officer will take your report and obtain and turn over the forged check to the police jurisdiction where the event took place.

If A Merchant Accepts An "NSF" Check:

See the statute for a description of the process to follow prior to reporting to law enforcement in the jurisdiction where the check was paid:  MN 609.535. They will need to send the notice of nonpayment or dishonor as described in the statute:

Notice of nonpayment or dishonor that includes a citation to and a description of the penalties in this section shall be sent by the payee or holder of the check to the maker or drawer by certified mail, return receipt requested, or by regular mail, supported by an affidavit of service by mailing, to the address printed on the check. Refusal by the maker or drawer of the check to accept certified mail notice or failure to claim certified or regular mail notice is not a defense that notice was not received.

The notice may state that unless the check is paid in full within five business days after mailing of the notice of nonpayment or dishonor, the payee or holder of the check will or may refer the matter to proper authorities for prosecution under this section. An affidavit of service by mailing shall be retained by the payee or holder of the check. Then, they will need to obtain the account information as described in subdivision 7. 

Once the process is complete, the victim may file a dishonored check report.  The victim should be prepared to provide the following pieces of evidence:

 Credit Card Fraud: How to Detect Bad Credit Cards*:

If Your Checks or Credit Cards are Lost or Stolen (this includes check cards, debit cards and EBT cards):

Experian: 1-888-397-3742
Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289
Equifax: 1-877-576-5734

If your Stolen Checks or Cards Have Been Used:

The subsequent use of any of the lost or stolen checks or credit cards must be reported to the police by the merchant or bank where it was presented for payment. Contact the banks and/or businesses that accepted your checks or cards to notify them of the fraudulent use. Encourage the banks and businesses to pursue charges against any suspects identified. Your bank or credit card company should have you sign an affidavit of check forgery or credit card fraud, and they should reverse all of the checks/charges relating to the fraudulent transactions.

Minimize the Opportunity of Stolen or Counterfeited Checks Continuing to Circulate:

Contact the Retailers Protection Association at their website, fill out the Victim Statement form, titled "Supplemental Victim Statement, Report of Stolen or Counterfeit Checks," and fax it directly to the RPA at the listed number ( or you may mail it to the Minneapolis Police Department, Forgery/Fraud Unit, 350 S. 5 th St., Room 108, Minneapolis, MN 55415). This information is then entered into a database used by banks and retailers to track and limit the use of stolen and counterfeit checks.

You are NOT responsible for monetary losses resulting from the subsequent use of your lost or stolen checks or credit cards. The banks and credit card companies must refund your money losses (if any), although they may hold your money while they are conducting an investigation in the case. Some can charge you up to $50 per account (read the fine print in your credit card agreement), but most do not.

However, you MUST have made a police report, notified the bank/credit card company in a timely manner and signed any required affidavits.

Call the MPD Forgery/Fraud Unit at (612) 673-2941 if you have further questions.

If Someone has Stolen your Identity to Get New Credit:

In Minnesota, identity theft becomes a crime only when a victim (person or business) suffers a monetary loss. Call Mpls 311 and make an identity theft report or go to your respective precinct to make your report (reports may not be made by phone to your precinct). If you are unsure which precinct you are in, you may enter your address and look it up here: Police Precinct Finder

Call the Federal Trade Commission Identity Theft Hotline to notify them and get advice on how to proceed. Notify all three credit reporting bureaus to put a Fraud Alert on your data and immediately request a credit report. You must then advise the credit bureau and the institution making the entry of any specific fraudulent accounts appearing on that report. That institution should send you an affidavit of account/transaction fraud to sign and return to them.

FTC ID Theft Hotline: 1-877-438-4338

Some internet resources for advice and information on ID theft:

Federal Government Information Center:  1-800-688-9889

If You Have Been A Victim of Internet Fraud:

Limitations of local law enforcement prosecution of Internet fraud:

If your Social Security Card was Lost or Stolen:

If Your Driver’s License Was Lost or Stolen: 

State of MN, Department of Public Safety, Driver and Vehicle Services.

If Your Passport Was Lost or Stolen:

 If New Checks Or Cards Have Been Mailed To A Different Address:

If Your Keys Were Taken: 
Change or re-key whichever locks need to be changed for your protection.

Other Resources for advice and information on Forgery Fraud:

Steps to protect yourself and your family from being victimized again.


Last updated Oct 5, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Salary Compliance Notice:
State statute 471.701; Notice of Salary Compliance, requires that the City post for not less than 90 days
the job title of the three highest paid employees along with their base salary. For 2018 these were:
1. City Attorney, $186,490
2. Assistant City Coordinator Convention Center, $183,600
3. Director Public Works, $181,191


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo