Become a Minneapolis Police Officer
Qualifications for a Lateral Police Officer
- Must be a full-time active police officer.
- Must maintain a valid driver's license that is accepted by the State of Minnesota.
- Must have taken and passed the MN Board of P.O.S.T. licensing exam.
- A minimum of 3 years of full-time sworn officer experience.
- Annual salary – plus full benefits package.
- Starting salary is determined by years of prior sworn service and size of department in which you last served.
- Interacting with people to identify and solve problems.
- Keep law and order.
- Make necessary arrests.
- Keep records and write reports of all important incidents as required.
- Respond to citizen calls for assistance during crisis situations.
- Patrol on foot or in a patrol car.
- Check property, suspicious persons and other suspicious or dangerous conditions.
- Investigate complaints and conduct preliminary investigations at crime or accident scenes, or other police matters.
- Testify in court.
- Work various shifts and weekends.
Last updated Feb 25, 2020