Frequently Requested MPD Public Information
June 23, 2018 Officer-involved shooting
- General Offense Public Information Report – MPD CNN 2018-208015
- MPD Incident Detail Report – 18-208015
- MPD Basic Incident Report – 18-208015
- 911 Transcript
- Public personnel file, Kelly, Ryan
- Public personnel file, Schmidt, Justin
- Minneapolis Fire Department Incident Report 18-0023104
- Minneapolis Fire Department Incident Report 18-0023094
- Minneapolis Fire Department Incident Report 18-0023057
Office of Police Conduct Review (OPCR) and Minneapolis Police Department (MPD) complaint summaries do not include complaints closed due to the following:
1. the complaint was later found to duplicate an existing complaint;
2. the officer was misidentified by the complainant; or (3) a determination was made that the officer was not the subject of the complaint.
- MPD Employee Complaint Summary – Kelly, Ryan
- MPD Employee Complaint Summary – Schmidt, Justin
- OPCR Complaint Summary – Kelly, Ryan
- OPCR Complaint Summary – Schmidt, Justin
Body-worn camera footage
Below are links to the body-worn camera footage taken from the officer involved shooting on June 23, 2018 in the area of 4700 block of Bryant Avenue North. Minneapolis Police Department (MPD) Officers Justin Schmidt and Ryan Kelly were the responding officers. Officer Kelly is driving the squad car. Officer Schmidt is the passenger.
Please be advised that the footage is very graphic. This video is not suitable for young people or sensitive viewers.
There are three video links available: Officer Schmidt’s raw video (provided by the City of Minneapolis), Officer Kelly’s raw video (provided by the City of Minneapolis), and stabilized and analyzed video (not provided by the City of Minneapolis, explained below).
The raw video footage is the body worn camera video that comes straight from the body worn camera. It contains movement and provides a lower level of clarity. This video is from the MPD and has not been altered in any way.
The stabilized and analyzed video was produced by the National Center for Audio & Video Forensics in Beverly Hills, California, as contracted by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA), and provided to the City of Minneapolis by the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office. The National Center for Audio & Video Forensics ran this video through a stabilizing and analysis process. The stabilized and analyzed video includes footage from both MPD officers Justin Schmidt and Ryan Kelly. The stabilizing software identifies pixels from each frame and aligns them to help limit the “shake” that can occur without altering the content.
Both the raw footage and stabilized and analyzed footage have been presented in the interest of full transparency.
On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 5:26 p.m., Minneapolis Police Officers responded to a 911 call reporting a male firing a handgun in a residential neighborhood near the 4700 block of Bryant Avenue North. Shortly after receiving the call, a squad arrived in the area. A full transcript of the 911 call and other public information is available above.
Upon the officers exiting the squad car, you may hear clicking sounds. This sound is a product of audio disturbance from the microphone and does not reflect gun shots.
- Officer Ryan Kelly raw video (City of Minneapolis)
- Officer Justin Schmidt raw video (City of Minneapolis)
- Stabilized and analyzed video (National Center for Audio & Video Forensics)
Office of Police Conduct Review Report on Ketamine Use
July 15, 2017 Officer-involved shooting
All publicly-available data under the jurisdiction of the City of Minneapolis regarding the July 15, 2017 officer-involved shooting will be posted to this page as soon as it is approved for release.
Please check back for updates as more information will be added as it becomes available.
- Incident Detail Report – MPD CCN 17-265956
- Incident Detail Report – MPD CCN 17-265936
- MFD Incident Report – 17-0025837
- MFD Incident Report – 17-0025862
- MFD Incident Report – 17-0025870
- MPD Employee Complaint Summary – Harrity, Matthew
- MPD Employee Complaint Summary – Noor, Mohamed
- 911 Call Transcript #1 – July 15, 2017; MPD CCN-265936
- 911 Call Transcript #2 – July 15, 2017; MPD CCN-265936
- Public Information Report – MPD CCN 17-265936*
- Public personnel file, M. Harrity
- Public personnel file, M. Noor
*The code “other” in a Minneapolis Police Report is used to define a person contacted by the police and not otherwise defined by another report category. Persons categorized by this definition are not suspects.
Per Minn. Stat. 626.89, subd. 12, the City will not be releasing officer photographs.
All redactions in the above documents have been made per Minn. Stats. 13.82, 13.43 and 18 USC 2721.
Last updated Oct 1, 2018