Victim Services Information

Crime Victim Rights

1. You can apply for financial help to cover losses (not property losses) as a victim of a violent crime.

2. You can request that the police withhold public access to data revealing your identity. The police department will decide if this is possible.  

3.  If the offender is charged, you have the right to be informed of and participate in the prosecution of the case. This includes the right to request restitution for losses you suffered because of the crime.

4. If you feel that your rights as a victim have been violated, contact the Crime Victim Justice Unit at 1-888-622-8799 or [email protected].

24 Hour Crisis Phone Lines

DayOne Domestic Violence MN Shelters – Shelter for Domestic Violence victims1-866-223-1111

Crisis Connection –24 hour access to a crisis counselor  

HCMC Psych Crisis Intervention
24 hour support for those in emotional crisis
HCMC Suicide Hotline – 24 hour crisis counseling612-873-2222
Sexual Violence Center Crisis Hotline – support for victims of sexual violence612-871-5111
Hennepin County COPE/Adult Mental Health Crisis – mobile crisis team612-596-1223
Greater Minneapolis Crisis Nursery – 24 hour access to a family counselor763-591-0100
United Way First Call for Help – housing, food, health, legal, transportation2-1-1
Veteran’s Assistance – help accessing services for veterans651-282-4055
Minnesota Crime Victims Support Line – 24 hour support for victims of any crime1-866-385-2699

Domestic Violence Information

IF YOU ARE THE VICTIM OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, you can ask the city or county attorney to file a criminal complaint. You also have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting an order for protection from domestic abuse. The order could include the following:

1. An order restraining the abuser from further acts of abuse;
2. An order directing the abuser to leave your household;
3. An order preventing the abuser from entering your residence, school, business, or place of employment;
4. An order awarding you or the other parent custody of or parenting time with your minor child or children; or
5. An order directing the abuser to pay support to you and the minor children if the abuser has a legal obligation to do so.

For additional information, to get an Order for Protection, or to talk to a police investigator, prosecutor, or advocate call the Hennepin County Domestic Abuse Service Center at 612-348-5073.

Assistance for Victims of Domestic Abuse

Police and Courts Information


First Precinct 612-673-5701   
Second Precinct612-673-5702Property Crimes 612-673-5712
Third Precinct612-673-5703Property Crimes 612-673-5713
Fourth Precinct612-673-5704 Property Crimes 612-673-5714
Fifth Precinct612-673-5705Property Crimes 612-673-5715

Other Police Resources 

Traffic Accident InvestigationsHaaf Ramp 300 S 5th St 612-673-2981
Criminal Investigations (Not Property Crimes)Room 108 City Hall612-673-2941
Juvenile InvestigationsRoom 21 B, City Hall612-673-2921
Records & Information (copies of police reports)Room 31, City Hall612-673-2961
Property & Evidence Unit (return of property)Room 33, City Hall612-673-2932
Impound Lot (vehicle Hold information)51 Colfax Ave N612-673-5777
Office of Police Conduct ReviewRoom 239 City Hall612-673-5500


Other Resources

Offender Release Information

Hennepin County Jail

Victim Assistance, felony casesHennepin County Attorney612-348-4003
Filing Criminal ChargesMinneapolis City Attorney612-673-300 or 311
Filing for an Order for ProtectionDomestic Abuse Service Ctr.612-348-5073


Attention: For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats please contact (add your information here including: department, contact person, phone and email). People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000. TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-673-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad
u baahantahay 612-673-3500.


Last updated Dec 19, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Salary Compliance Notice:
State statute 471.701; Notice of Salary Compliance, requires that the City post for not less than 90 days
the job title of the three highest paid employees along with their base salary. For 2018 these were:
1. City Attorney, $186,490
2. Assistant City Coordinator Convention Center, $183,600
3. Director Public Works, $181,191


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo