Victim Services Information
Crime victim rights
- You can apply for financial help to cover losses (not property losses) as a victim of a violent crime.
- Call: 651-201-7300 OR 1-888-622-8799.
- You can request that the police withhold public access to data revealing your identity. The police department will decide if this is possible.
- Call the Police Records Unit: 612-673-2961.
- If the offender is charged, you have the right to be informed of and participate in the prosecution of the case. This includes the right to request restitution for losses you suffered because of the crime.
- If you feel that your rights as a victim have been violated, contact the Crime Victim Justice Unit at 1-888-622-8799 or [email protected].
24 hour crisis phone lines
DayOne Domestic Violence MN Shelters – Shelter for Domestic Violence victims
Crisis Connection –24 hour access to a crisis counselor
HCMC Psych Crisis Intervention –
HCMC Suicide Hotline – 24 hour crisis counseling
Sexual Violence Center Crisis Hotline – support for victims of sexual violence
Hennepin County COPE/Adult Mental Health Crisis – mobile crisis team
Greater Minneapolis Crisis Nursery – 24 hour access to a family counselor
United Way First Call for Help – housing, food, health, legal, transportation
Veteran’s Assistance – help accessing services for veterans
Minnesota Crime Victims Support Line – 24 hour support for victims of any crime
Domestic Violence Information
- As a domestic violence victim, you can ask the city or county attorney to file a criminal complaint.
- You also have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting an order for protection from domestic abuse. The order could include the following:
- An order restraining the abuser from further acts of abuse;
- An order directing the abuser to leave your household;
- An order preventing the abuser from entering your residence, school, business, or place of employment;
- An order awarding you or the other parent custody of or parenting time with your minor child or children; or
- An order directing the abuser to pay support to you and the minor children if the abuser has a legal obligation to do so.
For additional information, to get an Order for Protection, or to talk to a police investigator, prosecutor, or advocate
- Call the Hennepin County Domestic Abuse Service Center at 612-348-5073.
Assistance for Victims of Domestic Abuse
- DayOne Domestic Violence MN Shelters – shelter information Asian 1-866-223-1111
- Women United – shelter & advocacy 612-724-8823
- Casa de Esperanza – shelter & advocacy 651-772-1611
- Division of Indian Work – family violence program 612-722-8722
- Domestic Abuse Project – legal advocacy (Spanish, Hmong, English) 612-673-3526
- Domestic Abuse Project – case management and therapy 612-874-7063
- Harriet Tubman – shelter & advocacy 612-825-0000
- OutFront Minnesota – GLBTQ 24 hour domestic abuse line 612-673-3526
- Domestic Abuse Service Center – filing for an Order for Protection 612-348-5073
Police and Courts Information
|Second Precinct||612-673-5702||Property Crimes||612-673-5712|
|Third Precinct||612-673-5703||Property Crimes||612-673-5713|
|Fourth Precinct||612-673-5704||Property Crimes||612-673-5714|
|Fifth Precinct||612-673-5705||Property Crimes||612-673-5715|
Other Police Resources
Traffic Accident Investigations
|Haaf Ramp 300 S 5th St||612-673-2981|
Criminal Investigations (Not Property Crimes)
|Room 108 City Hall||612-673-2941|
|Room 21 B, City Hall||612-673-2921|
Records & Information (copies of police reports)
|Room 31, City Hall||612-673-2961|
Property & Evidence Unit (return of property)
|Room 33, City Hall||612-673-2932|
Impound Lot (vehicle hold information)
|51 Colfax Ave N||612-673-5777|
Office of Police Conduct Review
|Room 239 City Hall||612-673-5500|
|Offender Release Information|
Hennepin County Jail
|Victim Assistance, felony cases||Hennepin County Attorney||612-348-4003|
|Filing Criminal Charges||Minneapolis City Attorney||612-673-300 or 311|
|Filing for an Order for Protection||Domestic Abuse Service Ctr.||612-348-5073|
Attention: For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats please contact (add your information here including: department, contact person, phone and email). People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000. TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-673-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad
u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Apr 17, 2019