Free training for building managers to report energy use

Owners and managers of commercial buildings 50,000 square feet and larger are invited to free workshops April 24 and May 6. These workshops will include information about the new energy reporting ordinance, help with reporting energy use through Energy Star Portfolio Manager, and put building owners and managers in touch with resources to make improvements. While managers of buildings between 50,000 and 100,000 square feet are not required to report their buildings’ energy and water use until June 1, 2015, they can learn how to do the reporting now and get a head start on tracking.Measuring energy use helps building owners understand and compare their energy use while finding ways to save energy and money.

The free workshops are being offered by the Center for Energy and Environment (CEE) through assistance from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. Space is limited. Register now at

Other resources

The Commercial Building Rating and Disclosure ordinance is being phased in over three years. Starting this year, buildings 100,000 square feet and larger will annually report energy and water use data through Energy Star Portfolio Manager by June 1. Starting in 2015, buildings from 50,000 to 100,000 square feet will annually report energy and water use data.

According to the U.S. Department of Energy, buildings consume more than 70 percent of the electricity generated in the U.S. Buildings can be made 30 percent to 50 percent more energy efficient, but many property owners and managers don't know how well or poorly their buildings use energy or how their building's energy performance compares to similar buildings. Also, consumers have no way to compare the energy performance of buildings they hope to buy or rent.

The City expects that benchmarking – along with numerous rebates and financial and technical assistance programs available to businesses – will spur retrofitting activity throughout Minneapolis. While building owners are under no obligation to make energy efficiency improvements to their properties, most owners who already benchmark their buildings voluntarily take advantage of their new knowledge to make improvements to reduce their energy costs.

Published Apr 16, 2014



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo