Burglar False Alarm Fees
Minneapolis charges alarm owners to recover some of the cost of responding to false alarms. Every time Minneapolis Police receive an alarm call, they take action. False alarms make it more difficult for police to respond to real emergencies, and are costly to the Minneapolis taxpayer. Fees for responding to false alarms are:
First false alarm
$30 registration fee
Second false alarm
Third false alarm
The fee continues climb by $100 for each additional false alarm. (The fourth false alarm is $300 and so on.) You may pay a fee in person at our office, by U.S. Mail, or using our online system. If you make a payment online, you will be entering the False Alarm Portal for payments.
Preventing False Alarms
Most false alarms are caused by not using the alarm properly, using an outdated alarm, poorly updated equipment, pets, and more. To prevent false alarms in hour home:
- Know what to do if you accidentally set off your alarm system.
- Train other users in your house to properly operate the system.
- Place the alarm monitoring company’s phone number near the phone or control panel (but do not leave codes or passwords in an unsecured place.)
- Make sure all your doors and windows are secured before you activate your alarm system and leave the house.
- Make sure your alarm monitoring company has your up-to-date emergency contact names and phone numbers so they can reach you.
Appealing False Alarm Notifications
- Send a written statement to the Minneapolis False Alarm Unit, within 15 days, to [email protected] or to the Business Licenses’ address below.
- Crime Prevention Resources - Questions to ask before buying an Alarm System.
- The city ordinance governing alarms is online. Type 176 in the search box at the top of the screen and click "Search."
Business Office contact information:
Phone # (612) 673-2080
Fax # (612) 673-3399
Licenses and Consumer Services
350 S. 5th Street Room 1
Minneapolis, MN 55415
In certain cases and within certain limits, a permit fee or fine may be refunded if an error was made by City Staff.
· A written explanation of refund request must be submitted within 15 days of payment of the fee. Request refunds by email to [email protected].
· Refunds can be applied to an associated false alarm account or paid by check.
Last updated Jun 12, 2019