Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
350 S. 5th Street, Room 1
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: (612) 673-2080
Fax: (612) 673-3399

Food and Beverages
If you are organizing a public event where food or beverages will be sold or given away in the City of Minneapolis, you will need an Event Food Sponsor Permit.  The Event Food Sponsor Permit is the umbrella food permit required for these events. The Event Food Sponsor Permit application and any associated Short Term Food Permit applications must be turned in together by the Event Food Sponsor at least 10 business days before the start of the event.

What is a public event? An event that members of the public can purchase tickets or attend for free. If you need help determining if your event is public or private contact 311 (612-673-3000) and ask for a Health Inspector with the food permit team.

Prior to operating, vendors at public events must have one of the following: 

1.      Short Term Food Permit ($87 per event. Vendors working at three or fewer events should get a Short Term permit for each event through the Event Food Sponsor.)

2.      Seasonal Food Permit ($232 per year. Vendors may work at an unlimited number of events. Seasonal Food Permit holders must meet stricter equipment requirements.)

3.      Minneapolis Mobile Food Vehicle Vendor License (Food truck)

4.      Minneapolis Limited Mobile Food License (Pre-packaged ice cream, candy, chips, and soda.)

5.      Exempt vendors: Cottage Food and Product of the Farm. See the Event Food Sponsor Permit page 2, Section C.

For more information visit the Minneapolis Civic Events webpage or contact Minneapolis 311 by email at or call 311 within Minneapolis, (612) 673-3000 outside Minneapolis. 

Licensed Minneapolis restaurants and bars with a Temporary Expansion of License for an event may require an Event Food Sponsor Permit and vendor permits.  For these events, fees will be waived for the Event Food Sponsor Permit and Short Term Food Permits if the restaurant or bar is the only food or beverage vendor.

A list of approved Food Truck Vendors and Seasonal Food Permit Vendors is updated monthly on our website. 

Green To Go: The City of Minneapolis has banned the use of foam (Styrofoam™) products for food served for immediate consumption.  Although Caterers are exemption from this prohibition, caterers are encouraged to use preferred plastics number 1, 2, and 5 for serving or take-out containers. 

Payment Options:
Applications and payments must be received at least 10 business days prior to the event start date or late fees apply.  Applications received less than two business days prior to the event may not be approved or could be restricted. 

1.      Mail:  Fees pay by check(s) are payable to Minneapolis Finance
Minneapolis Environmental Health
250 South 4th Street, Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415

2.      In Person:  Fees can be paid by check, cash, or credit card
Minneapolis Environmental Health
250 South 4th Street, Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Free parking  located behind the building.  Enter lot from South 3rd St. between 3rd Ave S. and 2nd Ave S.

3.      Email:  Fees paid by credit card.  City staff will contact you by telephone to obtain payment information.  Email to
Do not include credit card number on the application.  

Helpful Links:
Minneapolis Event Food Booth Self Inspection Checklist
Minneapolis Guidelines for Dispensing Food at Events and Markets
Food Safety Information and how the Minnesota Food Code is different from the FDA Food Code.
Online Food Safety Course:   Food Handler Training for Special Events and Festivals
For Bloomington, Minnesota events serving food contact: or 952-563-8934.
For St Paul, Minnesota events serving food contact: or 651-201-4500.

Contact List -
612 673‐3529 - 612 673‐3541 - 612 673‐3597 - 612 673‐3485

Last updated Oct 26, 2017



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service


facebook25x25 twitter25x25 youtube25x25 Minneapolis311icon logo tv 14 footer icon image linkedin_32x32