Health Department

Food, Lodging & Pools
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Non-Community Wells

Non-Community Wells

The Environmental Health program is responsible for regulating and inspection non-community public water systems in Minneapolis. These are facilities such as schools, factories, restaurants, resorts, and churches that are served by their own supply of water (usually a well). These facilities are required to provide a safe and adequate supply of water under the federal Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA).

non-community water systems serve either a transient or a nontransient population. A nontransient non-community public water system serves the same individuals every day (such as a school, daycare, or factory).

Non-Community Wells

A transient non-community public water system serves different individuals each day (such as a restaurant, motel, or highway rest area). Because they serve different types of populations, there are different requirements for transient and nontransient public water systems. Currently, there are over 7,000 non-community public water systems in Minnesota.

The Environmental Health program is responsible for assuring the compliance of non-community water systems with the SDWA. It does so by conducting inspections, sanitary surveys and sample collections at these systems.

Sanitary Surveys

A sanitary survey is an on-site review of the adequacy of the water source, facilities, equipment, operation and maintenance of a public water system for producing and distributing safe drinking water. Sanitary surveys for non-community water systems are conducted once every three years.

Sample Collection

Most required water samples are collected by Minneapolis Environmental staff. All non-community water supplies are tested at least annually for the total coliform bacteria and nitrate. Nontransient water systems are also tested for contaminants such as pesticides, solvents, and metals.



Minneapolis Health Department Logo

Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301. 

Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500

Last updated Jan 25, 2017



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo