Health Department

Food, Lodging & Pools
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Food Donations

Donating prepared, unserved food is legal and protected.

Businesses and organizations that donate food in good faith are protected by law and receive a tax deduction.

Food Donation Guidelines brochure - English, Spanish

Food Donation Tracking form

How to get started

You are protected from liability

Businesses and organizations that donate food in good faith to a nonprofit for distribution to needy individuals are not subject to civil or criminal liability that arises from the condition of the food.

Food donors are protected by the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Act, which was passed into federal law in 1996.

Save money on your taxes

The federal tax code allows a deduction for donated food. Eligible businesses can deduct the lesser of either (a) twice the cost of acquiring the donated food or (b) the cost of acquiring the donated food, plus one-half of the food’s expected profit margin, if it were sold at its fair market value.

Contact your tax professional to determine its application to your business.

Help your community and the environment

Donating surplus prepared food helps local hunger-relief agencies serve those in need, including many children and seniors.

In the United States, as much as 40 percent of food produced for people to eat is wasted along the food chain. 11 percent of Minnesotans don’t have a steady supply of food to their tables.

Food Safety Components

Learn how to keep the food you donate safe in the Food Donation Guidelines brochure.

Use the Food Donation Tracking form when you donate food.

Visit the Food Safety page for more food safety resources.

Get recognized for your efforts

Partners that donate edible food receive recognition from Hennepin County:


Minneapolis Health Department LogoShould you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.

Last updated Dec 12, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Health Department  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo