Get the new Healthy Homes Basics app today!
Learn about Healthy Homes Basics on the new app developed by the HUD Office of Lead Hazard Control and Healthy Homes (OLHCHH). The app is available for download in the Apple iTunes and Google Play stores!
The Healthy Homes Basics app offers practical how-to guidance on how to have a safe and healthy home, right at your fingertips. The app offers introductory information and guidance for consumers by teaching the “Principles of a Healthy Home”.
For those users more familiar with healthy homes concepts, the app features detailed information by topic.
Download the Healthy Homes Basics app today! Get it on Google Play or Apple iTunes!
Seven Principles of Healthy Homes
Keep it Dry
- Damp houses provide a nurturing environment for mites, roaches, rodents, and molds, all of which are associated with asthma.
Keep it Clean
- Clean homes help reduce pest infestations and exposure to contaminants.
Keep it Pest-Free
- Recent studies show a causal relationship between exposure to mice and cockroaches and asthma episodes in children; yet inappropriate treatment for pest infestations can exacerbate health problems, since pesticide residues in homes pose risks for neurological damage and cancer.
Keep it Safe
- The majority of injuries among children occur in the home. Falls are the most frequent cause of residential injuries to children, followed by injuries from objects in the home, burns, and poisonings.
Keep it Contaminant-Free
- Chemical exposures include lead, radon, pesticides, volatile organic compounds, and environmental tobacco smoke. Exposures to asbestos particles, radon gas, carbon monoxide, and second-hand tobacco smoke are far higher indoors than outside.
Keep it Ventilated
- Studies show that increasing the fresh air supply in a home improves respiratory health.
Keep it Maintained
- Poorly-maintained homes are at risk for moisture and pest problems. Deteriorated lead-based paint in older housing is the primary cause of lead poisoning, which affects some 240,000 U.S. children.
Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500
Last updated Jan 25, 2017