Ethics Officer
Susan Trammell
350 South 5th Street, Room 210
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Phone: (612) 673-3230
Fax: (612) 673-3362
[email protected]


Ethics Violation Complaint Process

To be actionable, alleged ethics violations must have occurred within one year before the date of the filing of a complaint. If the violation is alleged to have begun more than a year before the filing of the complaint and to have continued to a time within the one-year period, the complaint may be considered.

An ethics complaint must allege a specific violation of one or more specific sections of the Ethics in Government Code.  The allegation(s) must allege specific facts supporting such allegation(s) and any documentation supporting the allegation(s) should be included.  Further, the ordinance prohibits review of allegations alleging violation of an aspirational section (Sections 15.10, 15.20, 15.130, and 15.180).

The process for handling ethics violation complaints varies depending upon the status of the alleged violator.

All complaints containing allegations related to employees, except those related to department heads, are handled by the department in which the employee is employed. The Ethics Officer is available to assist and advise a department with an ethics complaint. Department supervisors are required to inform the Ethics Officer of the ethics allegation and the resolution of the allegation.

All complaints alleging ethics violations by appointed non-employee local officials, elected officials, and department heads are handled by the Ethics Board. The Board follows the procedure set forth in sections 7 and 8 of the Bylaws and Rules of Procedure (pdf).

Complaint Form

To report an alleged violation of the City’s Ethics Code by an elected official, employee, department head, or local official appointed by the Mayor or City Council to a board, commission or other instrumentality complete the form below:

Last updated Sep 18, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo