Neighborhood Noise Information
Common Noise Restrictions
- Construction/demolition noise is allowed 7am-6pm, Monday through Friday. An After-Hours Work Permit is required for work anytime on Saturday or Sunday. Homeowners are not required to obtain an After Hours Work Permit on weekends from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. but must otherwise follow all other permit requirements.
- Garbage pickup noise is allowed 6am-10pm within 500 feet of a residential property. Complaints should be submitted to Business Licensing .
- Outdoor amplified sound audible above the level of conversational speech at a distance of 50 feet likely requires a Sound Permit at any time.
- Sound from motor vehicle sound system or audio system clearly audible beyond 50 feet from where it is originating is illegal.
- Power lawnmowers, power trimmers, power saws, leaf blowers, or similar tools are allowed to operate between 7am–10pm.
- Snow blowers/snow plows may be operated at any time as conditions warrant.
What to do for an Immediate Noise Problem.
Call 911 and report the appropriate type of noise problem as described above.
When are Noise Measurements made to determine a violation?
When a property is conducting activity that is not compatible for the neighboring properties, noise measurements are made to determine a violation. This involves an onsite inspection by Environmental Services, and orders for compliance. To report a noise complaint call Minneapolis 311, or complete the online Environmental Management Complaint Form.
Last updated Sep 7, 2012