At Environmental Services, we work as the investigation and enforcement department for environmental issues in Minneapolis. Call or email 311 and we will investigate land, water, air, and noise concerns, including common concerns listed below.
The anti-idling ordinance restricts idling of cars and other gas or diesel powered vehicles to no more than three minutes in a one hour period. The ordinance also limits idling of buses, trucks, and other diesel engine-powered vehicles to no than five minutes in a one hour period.
There are exceptions to the three minute idling restriction for cars and most other gas or diesel powered vehicles:
- Vehicles may idle when stopped in traffic.
- An occupied vehicle with a sleeper berth compartment may idle for purposes of air conditioning or heating during a rest or sleep. period. Vehicles may idle for 30 minutes in a 60 minute period while waiting to load or unload.
- A passenger bus may idle a maximum of 15 minutes in any 60 minute period to maintain passenger comfort while non-driver passengers are onboard.
To report an idling issue: Contact 311
More information can be found at: Chapter 58 - Idling
Construction/demolition noise is allowed 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. An After-Hours Work Permit is required for work anytime on Saturday or Sunday. Homeowners are not required to obtain an After Hours Work Permit on weekdays from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and on weekends from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Garbage pickup noise is allowed 6:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. within 500 feet of a residential property. Complaints about this should be submitted to Business Licensing.
- Outdoor amplified sound audible above the level of conversational speech at a distance of 50 feet likely requires a Sound Permit at any time.
- Sound from motor vehicle sound system or audio system clearly audible beyond 50 feet from where it is originating is illegal. Direct complaints on motor vehicles to 911 or the Crime Prevention Specialist in your precinct.
- Power lawnmowers, power trimmers, power saws, leaf blowers, or similar tools are allowed to operate between 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Snow blowers/snow plows may be operated:
- At any time during an official snow emergency.
- Any time within 24 hours following a snowfall of 1 inch or more.
To report an noise issue: Contact 311
More information can be found at: Chapter 389 - Noise
The City of Minneapolis has a criteria and threshold for nuisance odors. Odors are unlawful if air contaminants migrate from the premises and are identified by an Inspector to be above the threshold of violation at an adjacent property.
To report an odor issue: Contact 311
More information can be found at: 47.150 - Odor
Environmental Services will respond to spills that are 5 gallons or less and will assist the Fire Department and Public Works for larger spills as needed.
To report a spill: Contact 311
More information can be found at: 287.100 - Oil or gasoline spills
Wells and tanks
Email [email protected] if you have questions about possible wells or tanks on your property. If you are having a well or tank removed, be sure to work with a licensed well contractor.
To request information on tanks or wells: Contact 311
More information can be found at: 48.260 - Wells
Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Aug 5, 2019