Employers: Please visit the Information for Employers webpage.
Apply for STEP-UP
The deadline to apply to STEP-UP for summer 2016 has past. Applicants will receive an email and paper notification the week of February 15th. The application for summer 2017 will be available in December.
STEP-UP is a nationally recognized youth employment program that trains and matches Minneapolis youth ages 14-21 with paid internships. As one of the country's premiere youth employment programs, STEP-UP serves populations that face some of the greatest barriers to employment, particularly youth from low income families, youth of color, youth from immigrant families, and youth with disabilities.
After STEP-UP interns complete training, they are eligible to work for pay at Minneapolis businesses and nonprofit organizations to gain job experience, explore career interests, and build professional skills.
To be eligible, youth must:
- live in Minneapolis,
- be 14-21 years old on June 1, 2016
- not be currently enrolled in college (PSEO is okay). Current college students may consider the Urban Scholars Program.
- meet certain income guidelines (see below), or have a substantial barrier to employment including students with disabilities, IEPs, English language learners, or pregnant and parenting teens. If you are unsure if you qualify, please apply.
- applicants must be eligible to work in the US (by June 1, 2016) and have proper documentation
Students will be advised of their STEP-UP application status through mail and email in mid-February.
Training for accepted applicants will take place in February, March and/or April. See below for exact training dates.
Check your email at least once a week for important information about acceptance and training.
STEP-UP uses the following chart as a GUIDELINE to determine if a student is eligible for our program. It is a guideline only. If you are unsure if you qualify, please apply.
Family Size 1 Person 2 Person 3 Person 4 Person 5 Person 6 Person 7 Person 8 Person Total Household Income $ 46,100 $ 52,650 $ 59,250 $ 65,800 $ 71,100 $ 76,350 $ 81,600 $ 86,900
Total Household Income
*Source: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, FY 2015 Income Limits Documentation System for the Minneapolis-Saint Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI MSA area. Low (80%) Income Limits
2016 Program Timeline and Information
STEP-UP Program Timeline
- December 7, 2015 – Online application available for youth to apply for STEP-UP
- February 5, 2016 – Youth application closed, last day to apply for STEP-UP
- February 11th and after – Notification emails and letters are sent
- February/March/April 2016 – Work Readiness Training. All trainings are at MCTC, 1501 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55403.
Achieve (16-21 years old as of June 1, 2016)
You will be assigned ONE Saturday training date below from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM: 2/27, 3/5, 3/19, OR 3/26
Discover (14-15 years old as of June 1, 2016)
If you are in high school you will be assigned TWO Saturday training dates from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM: 2/27 & 3/5 OR 3/19 & 3/26
If you are in middle school you will be assigned TWO Saturday training dates from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM: 4/9 & 4/16
- Attend your Mock Interview! You will be assigned ONE of the following dates: 4/11, 4/12, 4/13 OR 4/14. 8th graders do not attend mock interviews.
All mock interviews are held at the Minneapolis Convention Center, 1301 2nd Ave S, Minneapolis, MN From 4:30-6:30 PM each night.
- May/June – Intake interviews and/or job placement
- June 20th – first day of work for most interns
- August 19th – last day of work for most interns
- Provides opportunities to explore careers and gain the work skills, job experience, social capital and confidence necessary to achieve educational and professional goals
- Builds 21st Century skills in communications, collaboration, and problem-solving for today’s professional environment
- Develops a network of caring adult professionals to support career and post-secondary goals
- Offers career laddering opportunities—including advanced level internships and industry-specific trainings—helping interns connect their career interests with post-secondary education and career planning
- Provides internships that pay up to $2,000 in wages
Learn more about STEP-UP
For other questions about STEP-UP, contact Anna Peterson at 612-673-5234.
Last updated Nov 1, 2016