Community Planning & Economic Development
Business Profile: Mama D’s
Owner of Mama D's, Destiny Brooks (right) and employee Shamya Williams (left) pose in front of Mama D's restaurant located in the Midtown Global Market. (Source: The City of Minneapolis)
Destiny Brooks, the Owner and Chef of Mama D’s, says she has two loves in her life: cooking authentic southern food and making people happy. As a little girl, Destiny cooked with her grandma and immediately developed a passion for southern cooking. Destiny was known as “the church lady” within her church because she cooked for all events and special occasions. Continuing her love of cooking and bringing joy to others, Destiny started a family-owned catering business in 1996. In 2017, Mama D’s opened a restaurant in the Midtown Global Market (MGM), operating as a full-service catering business and restaurant. The first Sunday of every month, Mama D’s has an all you can eat buffet from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
The City’s Business Technical Assistance Program (B-TAP) partner, Neighborhood Development Center (NDC), assisted Destiny with the move to MGM, providing a loan and lease support. The NDC helped with Mama D’s marketing plan, branding, website and social media development.
Destiny notes that although Mama D’s is a family-owned business, she focuses on offering jobs to youth in her community to help them learn how to cook—mirroring how she developed her passion at such a young age. Destiny will be hosting a Thanksgiving Eve dinner on Wednesday, November 21 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Mama D's in MGM, 920 East Lake Street. All are welcomed.
Latest News from CPED
- Discover Minneapolis Manufacturing! Tour H&B Elevators and Unison Comfort Technologies 10/1/2018 (PDF)
- Discover a New Career at the Northside Community Job and Resource Fair, 9/14/18 (PDF)
- Energy Business Technical Assistance Program (E-TAP) Offers Small Businesses Energy Cost-Saving Resources, 9/13/18 (PDF)
- Annual STEP-UP Mock Interviews to Provide Job Interview Experience to Over 1,500 Minneapolis Youth, 3/26/18 (PDF)
- Minneapolis-St. Paul team selected for new national anti-displacement policy network, 3/23/18 (PDF)
Last updated Oct 12, 2018