Community Planning & Economic Development
Business Profile: Seward Makes
The owners of Seward Makes, Iman Mefleh and Joe Silberschmidt, celebrate the opening of their business in August, 2019. (Source: The City of Minneapolis)
Seward Makes is a shared commercial kitchen at 2211 East Franklin Avenue, in the heart of Minneapolis’ Seward neighborhood. Local food makers rent time and space needed for production, to grow their business and thrive as entrepreneurs. But that’s not all. The owners, Iman Mefleh and Joe Silberschmidt (seasoned makers themselves, producing locally sourced kimchi called You Betcha Kimchi), designed the space in Seward Makes for small businesses to easily produce and sell larger quantities of their product, as well as a retail space to bring the community together.
Seward Makes has a retail space for people to enjoy local food artisans’ offerings, as well as discover locally made home goods. In spring of 2020, Seward Makes will also have house made soft serve, which will feature ingredients and menu add-ons sourced directly from the Seward Makes kitchen users.
Seward Makes received guidance on opening the space from Seward Redesign, a partner supported by the City’s Business Technical Assistance Program (B-TAP). The City’s Small Business Team also helped Iman and Joe with navigating City policies and processes. Seward Makes is receiving a grant through the City’s Great Streets Facade Improvement program to rebrand this prominent storefront on Franklin Avenue.
Latest CPED News and Events
- 2019 Teen Job and Opportunity Fair
- Nominations Sought for 2019 Minneapolis Preservation Awards, 1/17/19 (PDF)
- City of Minneapolis Receives Gold Award of Excellence in Economic Development from the International Economic Development Council, 10/25/18 (PDF)
- Discover Minneapolis Manufacturing! Tour H&B Elevators and Unison Comfort Technologies, 10/1/2018 (PDF)
- Discover a New Career at the Northside Community Job and Resource Fair, 9/14/18 (PDF)
- Energy Business Technical Assistance Program (E-TAP) Offers Small Businesses Energy Cost-Saving Resources, 9/13/18 (PDF)
Last updated Sep 13, 2019