Community Planning & Economic Development
Broadway Flats located at 2505 Penn Ave N, Minneapolis, MN 55411
In May 2011, the intersection of Penn and Broadway was decimated by the tragic tornado that ripped through North Minneapolis, leaving hundreds of homes and dozens of businesses in ruins. On Friday, September 16, five years later, the intersection has transformed into the Broadway Flats, a new housing and retail project developed by Rose Development LLC. The grand opening event was hosted by Dean Rose with speakers Mayor Betsy Hodges, Housing Commissioner Mary Tingerthal and HUD Midwest Regional Administrator Antonio Riley. Ward 5 Council Member Blong Yang attended the event, along with Council Member Lisa Goodman, who led support for affordable housing funding for the development.
Broadway Flats contains 103 affordable rental units including 10 studio, 78 one-bedroom and 15 two-bedroom units, with rent beginning below $600 for studios, $763 for one-bedrooms, and topping off at $1,150 for large two-bedrooms. Amenities include a green roof, balconies over West Broadway and Penn Ave., business and community rooms, shared surface parking, storage, laundry, and fitness facilities.Approximately half of the 19,000 sq. ft. retail space facing West Broadway will be anchored by Broadway Liquor Outlet. The project expects there will be at least two additional retail tenants to occupy the other half of the space. The completion of Broadway Flats is an example of a plan that turned tragedy into an opportunity to reinvent the neighborhood.
Latest News from CPED
- City of Minneapolis and Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board Receive One Submission for Master Developer of Upper Harbor Terminal Phase 1 Redevelopment, 10/17/16 (pdf)
- City of Minneapolis Hosting Two October Open House Events Seeking Community Feedback for Minneapolis 2040 Comprehensive Plan, 10/14/16 (pdf)
- Over 200 Youth-Serving Practitioners and Community Leaders to Attend 6th Annual Partners with Youth Conference, 9/16/16 (pdf)
- Parkside at Humboldt Greenway Completes Vision of Providing High Quality, Amenity Rich Housing in Minneapolis’ Lind-Bohanon and Shingle Creek Neighborhoods, 9/14/16(pdf)
- City of Minneapolis Exceeds $1 Billion in Permits Issued Sooner Than Any Previous Year on Record, 8/26/16 (pdf)
Last updated Oct 17, 2016