Community Planning & Economic Development
Business Profile: La Michoacana Purépecha
(L to R) La Michoacana Purépecha location at 701 E Lake Street; natural popsicles with over 50 locally-made flavors; ice cream with intricate designs; a doll made by the Purépecha people of the Mexican state Michoacán. (Source: The City of Minneapolis)
La Michoacana Purépecha, located at 701 E Lake Street, offers an authentic experience of traditional La Michoacana shops (Mexico’s number one natural frozen treat shops). The owner, Ricardo Hernandez took a leap of faith to turn his dream into reality and bring his favorite childhood frozen treats to Minnesotans. First opening their doors in Minneapolis in June 2018, they are growing fast and will soon have a place in St. Paul, as well as a spot in the Midtown Global Market.
La Michoacana Purépecha has a wide variety of natural popsicles with over 50 locally-made flavors, 30 different ice cream flavors (with dragon fruit being one of the most popular), Mexican-style prepared sweet corn and esquites, chicharrones preparados and more. Their social mission is to support and give back to the community – especially indigenous communities, like the Purépecha people of the Mexican state Michoacán – and highlight the cultural heritage of Michoacán.
Through the City’s Business Technical Assistance Program (B-TAP), Ricardo received business coaching from the Neighborhood Development Center (NDC) on topics such as equipment and space layout, accounting and marketing.
Latest CPED News and Events
- 2019 Teen Job and Opportunity Fair
- Nominations Sought for 2019 Minneapolis Preservation Awards, 1/17/19 (PDF)
- City of Minneapolis Receives Gold Award of Excellence in Economic Development from the International Economic Development Council, 10/25/18 (PDF)
- Discover Minneapolis Manufacturing! Tour H&B Elevators and Unison Comfort Technologies, 10/1/2018 (PDF)
- Discover a New Career at the Northside Community Job and Resource Fair, 9/14/18 (PDF)
- Energy Business Technical Assistance Program (E-TAP) Offers Small Businesses Energy Cost-Saving Resources, 9/13/18 (PDF)
Last updated Oct 18, 2019