Community Planning & Economic Development
Commons at Penn Brings 47 Units of Affordable Housing and Health and Wellness Services to North Minneapolis
Above Top: Rendering by Building Blocks of Commons at Penn; Below: Ceremonial Ground breaking on Tuesday, September 30.
On Tuesday, September 30, 2014, locally based nonprofit Building Blocks broke ground on the Commons at Penn, a new 47-unit affordable housing apartment complex located at 2201 Golden Valley Road. Once completed, the Commons will offer office and program space for Building Blocks, the nonprofit founded by former NBA player and North Minneapolis native Devean George in 2011 and the lead developer of the project. Building Blocks supports the development of youth and families by focusing on a combination of housing, mentoring, and educational programming. The first floor of the building will also include space for an outreach clinic operated by NorthPoint Health and Wellness Center where community members will have access to health education classes, events, and health care services.
The $10.7M project is being supported by the City of Minneapolis through the Affordable Housing Trust Fund and Tax Exempt Housing Revenue Bonds, Hennepin County through its Environmental Response Fund, Transit-Oriented Development program and Affordable Housing Incentive Fund (AHIF), Metropolitan Council through its Livable Communities Demonstration Account program, Minnesota Housing through its Economic Development and Housing Challenge program, the Pohlad Foundation, the Family Housing Fund, Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC), and Sunrise Bank who is providing the first mortgage.
Construction of Commons at Penn is expected to wrap up by mid-2015 with the first residents moving in by the fall.
Latest News from CPED
- City of Minneapolis to Launch Planning Process for Public Realm Framework Downtown, 10/30/14 (pdf)
- City of Minneapolis Receives Excellence in Economic Development Award from the International Economic Development Council, 10/24/14 (pdf)
- Minneapolis City Council Adopts Conservation District Ordinance Text Amendment, 10/16/14 (pdf)
- City of Minneapolis Receives 14 Proposals from Landscape Architect-Led Teams to Design
The Commons, 10/16/14 (pdf)
- The City of Minneapolis is Seeking Redevelopment Proposals for 30 Third Street South or
the “Nicollet Hotel Block," 10/15/14 (pdf)
- Media Advisory: Commons at Penn to Break Ground at Corner of Penn Ave and Golden Valley Road September 30, 9/23/14 (pdf)
- City of Minneapolis Seeking Qualified Landscape Architect-Led Team to Design the "Commons," 9/15/14 (pdf)
- Cinema in the Cemetery Returns with Alien Invasion: Films from Another World to Benefit Pioneers and Soldiers Cemetery, 9/2/14 (pdf)
- STEP-UP Annual Celebration August 14 to Recognize Outstanding Interns and Employers, 8/12/14 (pdf)
- Over 20 Exhibitors to Provide Employment and Training Information at RENEW Minneapolis Hiring and Resource Event at Ababukar As-Saddique Islamic Center, June 19, 6/18/14 (pdf)
- John Biggers Seed Public Art Design to Be Unveiled at UROC on June 19, 6/18/14 (pdf)
Last updated Oct 30, 2014