Department of Civil Rights

Velma J. Korbel, Director

350 S. 5th St., Room 239
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Phone: (612) 673-3012
Fax: (612) 673-2599
TTY: (612) 673-2157

Office Hours:
8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday

Urban Scholars Frequently Asked Questions


What are the program dates? 

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 to Friday, August 17, 2018.

How can I apply to the partner organizations?

Metropolitan Council has their own application process for Urban Scholars annually in November. If you are interested in all other partner organizations, please rank the organizations through the City of Minneapolis application system.

Do I have to submit recommendation letters?

No, you may be asked for contact information for individuals who can serve as a reference if you qualify for an interview.

If I am selected as an Urban Scholar, will I be required to start on May 22nd?

Due to the structure of the program, all potential candidates will need to be able to start on May 22nd.

When will Urban Scholars be notified of acceptance into the program?

Urban Scholars will be notified starting on Tuesday, April 3, 2018.

When will I hear about the status of my application?

Candidates will be informed if they qualify for an interview in the middle of March.

How will I be assigned to a partner organization or department?

The selection panel will choose your department assignment based on a number of factors including your career goals, professional and academic experience, skill set, and your interest.

Do I need to be a resident of Minneapolis to apply?

No, you do not need to be a resident of Minneapolis to apply for the internship. 

What does "good standing" mean at an accredited academic institution?

Good standing means that you are not on an academic hold/probation when being considered for Urban Scholars.

Do I have to be a political science or any other related major to apply? 

No, all academic majors are encouraged to apply. 

I'm a freshman in college. Will I be eligible to apply?

Candidates must have completed their first year of post-secondary education before the start date of Urban Scholars 2018.

I'm a senior who is graduating in May. Will I be eligible to apply?

You are eligible to apply if you graduated up to 6 months prior to the start date of Urban Scholars. In other words, if your degree is conferred between December 2017 and May 2018, you are eligible to apply. If you graduated in the last 6 months and have not yet completed any graduate level coursework, please complete the application as an undergraduate.

I'm a graduate student. Am I eligible to apply?

All graduate students interested in learning more about careers in the public sector are encouraged to apply. To be considered, you must be enrolled and in good standing at an accredited graduate program or law school. When applying, you should select the "Urban Scholars - Graduate" option in the application.

I'm a returning Urban Scholar. Will the application and screening process be any different?

Returning Urban Scholars are eligible to complete an application during the early application and general application timeframes.

During the screening process, your prior experience as an Urban Scholar will be considered; however, it does not guarantee you admittance into the new cohort.

If I was a STEP-UP intern in a prior year, am I eligible to apply?

Former STEP-UP interns are eligible to apply. On the application, there will be a place to indicate whether you were a STEP-UP intern in prior years.

Do I need public sector work experience in order to apply? 

Previous public sector work experience is not required. 

What other qualifications do I need to know? 

You must be authorized to work in the United States. If you are a F-1 Visa holder, please refer to the Off- Campus Basic Guidelines through the Department of Homeland Security.

What will be the work hours of Urban Scholars? Will I receive days off?

Please prepare to fully participate in the entire 12 week program (excluding City issued holidays and extenuating circumstances [i.e. illness, family emergency, etc.]). Hours will be 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Monday - Friday.

What will I wear?

We ask that you use your best judgment in the details of your attire, but formal business to business casual is acceptable.

How will I be compensated?

Urban Scholars will be paid bi-weekly during the 12 week summer program. Taxable compensation is at least $15.00 per hour and may be higher depending on education and organization.  

Will the program assist in arranging housing in the Twin Cities area?

No, you will need to arrange your own housing accommodations.

Can I receive an academic credit for my internship experience?

You should coordinate with your school to determine if an academic credit will be needed. Please, notify Urban Scholars early on in the program if this is your intentions.

Who can I contact for more information?

Please send an e-mail to [email protected]

Scholar Testimonials

What You See Is What You Get Element


What do Scholars have to say about their experience?
Program alumni reported improvement in their...
  • Values-Based Leadership
  • Understanding of Diversity & Inclusion
  • Networking Skills
  • Public Peaking Skills
Many Scholars have continued
working at their placement site beyond the summer!
"Professionally, I became more confident in myself and my capabilities"
~ 2015 Scholar

"Urban Scholars was a way to learn about other experiences and cultures, while having a valuable internship experience."
~ 2016 Scholar

"Working with DEED this summer means everything to me because, through this program, I managed to grow professionally and also impact our community."
~ 2017 Scholar


"The program fostered my individual strengths in collaboration, public speaking and leadership in an engaging environment full of like-minded individuals who are as passionate about diversity and inclusion as I am."
~ 2014 Scholar

"During my time at Hennepin County, I have also had the opportunity to connect with professionals from varied fields including law, public health, communication, human resources, and so on, and build my own professional network."
~ 2017 Scholar



Last updated Jan 5, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo