Above the Falls Citizen Advisory Committee
In June 2000, the Mpls City Council adopted the Above the Falls Master Plan and vision for the Upper River area. Implementation of the Master Plan became the responsibility of the Mpls Community Development Agency. One key responsibility was to develop an overall implementation structure, including the following elements: A Citizen Advisory Committee (Above the Falls Citizen Advisory Committee AFCAC); an Upper River Development Corporation or Implementation Committee; A staff Technical Advisory Committee composed of the key departments and agencies involved with implementation.
The AFCAC was developed by the Upper River Working Group. AFCAC’s purpose is to play a critical role in implementation of the Master Plan.
The AFCAC is also a part of the Implementation Committee, comprised of: 3 members of the AFCAC; and one member from the Mayor, Hennepin County Commissioner, City Council Member, MCDA Executive Director, Public Works Director, Park Board Superintendent, Library Board, Planning Director, Reps of Upper River Citizens Advisory Committee, Middle Mississippi Watershed Mgmt Organization rep, Metropolitan Council, MN Dept of Natural Resources. The primary responsibility of the Implementation Committee will be to make recommendations on projects and proposals in the Upper River area. Recommendations will be considered by the Park Board, City Council, MCDA Board, and Hennepin County Board.
Number of Members
30 members (18 citizen reps; 6 reps of business interests; and 6 reps of environmental interests).
AFCAC does not use open appointment process.
Neighborhood groups within the Above the Falls area will appoint their own representatives; other neighborhood representatives will be appointed by AFCAC.
Neighborhood Representative Requirement
- Each of the 10 neighborhood organizations within the Above the Falls plan area will select one member and two alternates.
- Two members and four alternates from Northside neighborhoods outside the Above the Falls area.
- Two members and four alternates from Northeast neighborhoods outside the Above the Falls area.
- One member and two alternates from North Loop and Nicollet Island/East Bank.
- One member and two alternates from the other Southeast Mpls neighborhoods.
- One member and two alternates from South Mpls neighborhoods.
- One at-large member and two alternates from the Middle Mississippi Watershed Mgmt Organization area.
Responsibilities of Members
Representatives and alternates shall have the following responsibilities:
Term of Appointment
1, 2, and 3 years, depending on seat.
Full AFCAC – 4th Tuesday of each month. Meetings will be held at the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board Headquarters, 2117 West River Road (except for either the July or August meeting which will be held at North Mississippi Park, 4900 North Mississippi Court).
Last updated Oct 24, 2013