In Minneapolis, all cats and dogs over four months of age are required to be licensed and wear collars with the license tags attached. Ferrets are also required to be licensed. Failure to license an animal may result in the issuance of an administrative citation.
Some animals, like reptiles, fowl, and honeybees, require a special permit rather than a license--read more about that here.
Why License Your Pet?
- It’s a free ride home
If your licensed pet is found in Minneapolis, it will get a ride to your home instead of the animal shelter.
- Your pet is more likely to get back home
Licensed pets are three times more likely than unlicensed pets to go home again.
- Prompt medical attention
If your pet is found injured, a pet license makes it more likely that its medical history can be located and it will get the proper medical care right away.
- It’s the law
Minneapolis requires dogs, cats, and ferrets to be licensed
- It ensures a pet is vaccinated against rabies
This important vaccination keeps your pet safe & healthy
- It helps other animals. Your license helps:
- Shelter and feed lost dogs and cats and find them a new home.
- Educate the public about responsible pet ownership.
- Reunite lost dogs and cats with their owners
- You will receive the I Love My Pet Rewards Program card!
Purchasing a License
Apply for a Pet License Online - We'd encourage you to use our online pet licensing system, which saves time and city resources. Please note that Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Safari have worked well for licensing, but individuals using Firefox may experience problems as this platform is not compatible with the city's software. Anyone can license online with the following exceptions:
- Your animal has been declared dangerous or potentially dangerous
- You have more than four pets (Apply for a multiple animal permit)
- You have outstanding fines or fees owed to MACC
Complete the Pet License Application (pdf) and mail it to us.
- IN PERSON The Animal Shelter is located at 212 17th Avenue North, just off I-94 near the West Broadway exit, and near stops for the Route 7, 14, and 30 buses. We're open Monday to Friday, 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM, and Saturday, 11:30 AM to 3:30 PM.
- APPLY IN THE COMMUNITY
For our customers' convenience, we have partnered with a variety of Minneapolis Vet Clinics and Pet Business Partners where you can license your pet.
Pet owners who provide an email address will receive an electronic reminder four to five weeks prior to the license tag’s expiration date. We will also send pet owners a reminder letter the month that the pet’s license tag expires.
If your licensed pet is deceased, please let us know by sending your name, address, and pet’s name by calling 311 or emailing email@example.com.
The licensing requirement does not apply:
- To any veterinarian, recognized short-term pet boarding facility, or licensed pet shop operator, or
- During the first six (6) months of an animal being under the care, control, possession, or custody of an animal rescue group partner approved by MACC, or
- Dogs trained to provide service to persons with disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Therapy pets” and “emotional service animals” that are not trained by a MACC-recognized program must be licensed.
|1 Year Pet License|
|Dogs/Cats (for seniors 65 or older)||$10||$65|
|Individuals receiving means-tested public assistance or with incomes of $40,000 (see below)||$10||$65|
|3 Year Pet License|
|Dogs/Cats (microchip required)||$240||Not Applicable|
Minneapolis Animal Care and Control accepts the following forms of payment: Cash, Check, Money Order and Credit Cards (Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.)
Proof of Income Eligibility for Special Pet License Fees
MACC accepts the following items as proof of eligibility for low-cost licenses:
- Food Stamps Medicaid Free or Reduced Lunch Program (Public Schools)
- Social Security Disability (SSD)
- Minnesota Care (MNCare) or Medical Assistance (MA)
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
- HUD Section 8 Housing Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Major VA Disability Temporary
- Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
A pet owner may also bring his or her most recent income tax return showing income of less than $40,000 per household (family of four or more). In order to verify your eligibility, these licenses must be purchased in person at the Animal Shelter.
Last updated Mar 21, 2017