Community Planning & Economic Development

Minneapolis Development Review
Public Service Center Building
250 S. 4th St., Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612) 673-3000
Fax: (612) 370-1416
TTY: (612) 673-3300

Service Center Hours
Mon - Wed, Fri
8:00 AM – 3:00 PM
9:00 AM – 3:00 PM 

Customers requiring Plan Review, Zoning, Preservation & Design (HPC) or Housing/Rental License services must sign-in by 3:00 PM 

Free Customer Parking!
Map and Parking Information 
Photo of Public Service Center Building

Call 311 Call 3·1·1 for information about the City and City services.


Non-English Resources

Non-English Information, this icon shows text for espanol, hmoob and soomaaliga

Find services and City information translated in other languages.

Interior Remodeling and Alterations

When do I need a permit?

A permit is required for interior remodeling projects that change the interior structure of a single-family dwelling. For information about permits, see Permits Overview.

If your construction project has accessibility issues please view the informational handouts on accessibility on our applications and forms page or at the State of Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry web page on accessibility.

Interior remodels that require a permit include:

For more complete information, see Common Required Repairs.

Interior remodels that do NOT require a permit include:

For more information about heating systems, water heaters, smoke detectors, and gas piping, see Common Required Repairs.

The City of Minneapolis publishes information bulletins containing design guidelines and other important compliance requirements for popular residential building projects and topics.

Last updated Nov 30, 2016