govdelivery_icon Sign up for e-mail updates from Homegrown Minneapolis.

 For Urban Farmers and Market Gardens


 Urban farming contributes to our city’s food security and food safety in two ways:   California Street Farm

1) It increases the total amount of food available to people living in cities, and2) It allows fresh, high quality vegetables, fruits, and other food products to be grown and producedfor urban customersExplore the resources below to learn more about programs and grants for urban farmers that can provide financial and technical assistance.In March of 2012 the Minneapolis City Council amended the zoning code to allow for expanded urban agriculture in the city. The zoning code text amendment approved two new land uses—for market gardens and urban farms—and set development and design standards. This effort takes food growing to a new level for the benefit of resident health, the environment and the economic vitality of the city.

Urban Agriculture Policy Plan Text Amendment/Zoning Code Updates (As adopted by City Council on March 30, 2012)

Under the new code, regulatory barriers are removed that make it difficult to establish land uses for agriculture in the city. Urban agricultural land uses are now expanded in all zoning districts to include:

The change in the zoning code originates from a broader vision and a specific recommendation for policy changes to support access to land for growing food and to support local food-related activities that was put forward in the first phase of the Homegrown Minneapolis initiative.

Current development standards for market gardens These standards are pending modification. Check back for updates in late summer and contact Homegrown Minneapolis with any questions.


Hydrant Water Permits for Community Gardens and Urban FarmsMcKinney Garden

The Water Works Permit Office issues garden water permits to community gardens and urban farmers to access a specific fire hydrant for their garden/farm when there is no other water option available. The person must have legal documentation from owner giving permission to use land. These permits are issued seasonally, the water usage is metered and paid for during the growing season. For further questions please call (612) 673-2865 or or go to the Public Service Center located at 250 S 4th St., Room 224, Minneapolis.

On-farm Food Safety Resources

The University of Minnesota provides workshops and consulting related to on-farm food safety and GAPS, as well as an assembly guide for an affordable hand-washing station. Hand-washing is one of the important food safety strategies for every farm and garden.

Urban Farming Financing

Education and Marketing

Last updated Jul 17, 2014