South Transfer Station
Important notice for Transfer Station users
- Until further notice the South Transfer Station will be open to Voucher Customers only. Cash and checks will no longer be accepted. Any voucher overages will be added to the Utility Bill account for the property.
- If you do not have a Voucher, you are not able to use the site at this time. Visit Hennepin County’s Landfill and transfer station web page to find alternative disposal locations while the transfer station is unavailable. Be sure to call ahead to verify materials accepted, hours, and fees.
The South Transfer Station is a convenient location for residents to bring excess garbage, scrap metal, appliances, electronics, mattresses, construction and demolition debris, and more. The South Transfer Station is open to the general public for a fee. Vouchers are available for Solid Waste & Recycling customers. Vouchers must be requested by calling our office before going to the Transfer Station Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Customers who choose to use the South Transfer Station must unload all materials as the transfer station attendant directs. There are several locations for unloading depending on the materials you have. See Preparing Your Load for more information.
Minneapolis Solid Waste & Recycling and/or the Management Company at the South Transfer Station have the right to refuse any load at any time.
What can I bring to the South Transfer Station?
- Household garbage
- Household appliances and electronics
- Mattresses and box springs (each counts as one piece)
- Construction & demolition debris
Materials not accepted:
- Automobile parts
- Hazardous materials
- Paint or paint cans
- Railroad ties
- Yard waste
Solid Waste & Recycling encourages all residents to evaluate options to reuse, donate or sell items before disposal. Hennepin County's Choose to Reuse Directory can help find outlets to sell or donate unwanted items and the Green Disposal Guide can help find outlets for materials that are not usable or accepted at the South Transfer Station.
Voucher Program for Solid Waste & Recycling Customers
To support our customers who are cleaning or improving their property, Solid Waste & Recycling offers vouchers at no extra cost for disposal of household debris at our South Transfer Station. Properties without City of Minneapolis Solid Waste & Recycling collection services are not eligible to receive vouchers but may pay by cash or check only at the transfer station.
You must be the current Utility Bill payer to obtain a voucher. If you are the Utility Bill payer, call 612-673-2917 to request a voucher before going to the transfer station.
Utility Bill payers may authorize others to use vouchers on their behalf. See Voucher Authorization for more information on how to allow a non-Utility Bill payer to use a voucher.
Vouchers are for materials from properties within Minneapolis only. Properties outside of Minneapolis are NOT eligible for the voucher program. Minneapolis reserves the right to an on site inspection of the property before approving voucher.
Each property with Solid Waste & Recycling service is offered the following vouchers annually:
- Cleanup Vouchers: Maximum of six per year per property. Vouchers are used for disposal of household garbage and construction and paving materials. Maximum weight per load is 2,000 pounds at no charge. Limit of two appliances, electronic items or mattresses at no extra charge per voucher. A charge applies to each additional item.
- Tire Vouchers: Maximum of two per year per property. Each voucher allows up to eight tires. Tires are accepted with or without rims. A charge applies for each additional tire.
Additional fees will apply for the following:
- For combining multiple vouchers in one trip
- If you have more than two (2) appliances, electronics or mattresses per voucher
- If you have more than eight (8) tires per voucher
- If your load exceeds 2,000 pounds of materials per voucher
- If you do not weigh out on the outbound scale
Scheduling a Voucher:
Before going to the transfer station you must call 612-673-2917 Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to schedule a voucher. You cannot schedule a voucher on-site at the transfer station.
When scheduling a voucher staff will ask the following:
- What week or Saturday do you want to use the voucher?
- Vouchers are valid for a specific week - Tuesday through Friday or a specific Saturday.
- What is the name of the person bringing materials to the transfer station?
- Does the person's ID match the address of the property the voucher is requested for?
- What are you planning on bringing to the transfer station?
The South Transfer Station is open to the public for a fee. Requirements for cash customers include:
- Deliver only materials accepted
- Vehicle used to bring materials meets vehicle restrictions for the transfer station. See Preparing Your Load.
- Weigh in upon arrival
- Valid Drivers License or State Issued ID. This must be left with the attendant while you drop off your load.
- Payment by cash or check only. All checks require matching ID.
- Weigh out after dropping materials off in appropriate locations.
How much does it cost to dispose of materials at the South Transfer Station?
Cash customers (non-Solid Waste & Recycling customers) or customers who have used all of their vouchers for the year may still deliver materials to the transfer station for a fee. Quantity allotments covered with the voucher, fees for delivering more than is covered by a voucher and fees for cash customers are as follows:
Voucher with Overage
Appliances, Electronics, Mattresses or Box Springs
Limit 2 per voucher
Construction & Demolition Debris
2,000 pounds per voucher
$45 per ton (includes taxes and fees)
$102 per ton minimum charge of $45 for up to 880 pounds (includes taxes and fees)
$45 per ton (includes taxes and fees)
$125.25 per ton minimum charge of $45 for up to 700 pounds (includes taxes and fees)
Tire - 17" or less
Limit eight (8) tires per tire voucher
Tires - 18" to 50"
Tires more than 50"
Combined Voucher Fee: A $15 fee will be added to the Utility Bill to combine two or more vouchers. For example, a truckload weighing 4,300 pounds would require three vouchers to cover the weight. A total of $30 ($15 per each additional voucher) will be charged to combine vouchers for use in one load.
Processing Fee to add extra fees to Utility Bill: A $10 processing fee will be added to the Utility Bill if the customer wants to place fees for extra debris ($41/ton) above the 2,000 pound voucher limit on the Utility Bill. You can avoid this processing fee by paying in cash or by check for the weight of extra debris ($41/ton) above the 2,000 pound limit that is covered by a voucher.
Prices are subject to change.
Customer means any person who currently owns a property in Minneapolis, and currently is the Utility Bill payer. Being the owner of your property does not grant you rights to the vouchers unless you are paying and listed as the Utility Bill payer. If you are not the Utility Bill payer, see Voucher Authorization.
Report Voucher Program Abuse and Illegal Dumping
For the protection of our paying customers, we have implemented stronger guidelines to prevent driving off without paying, requesting a voucher from another address, or scamming a customer by charging them a fee to haul their items away, but telling the customer they have to request a voucher (This scam is often used on the elderly).
Using another resident's voucher is illegal. City Ordinance 225.10 states in part: "No person shall leave, throw, or deposit, or use or permit any other person to leave, place, throw, or deposit, any substances or materials of any kind at a city solid waste service or collection point for city disposal when the substances or materials were generated at a location other than the residence."
If you see illegal dumping or abuse at the South Transfer Station, or anywhere in the City of Minneapolis, please report it. Write down the license number, vehicle description, person involved in the dumping, and the item that was dumped, and report it by dialing 311, and reporting it to Minneapolis 311 staff. If you wish, your call will remain anonymous.
You could lose this service if it's abused. When residents abuse this program by taking items from friends, family or from other locations or businesses, this service can be canceled. The South Transfer Station staff watches for this abuse and reports it when found. Once removed from this program, voucher reinstatement can only be made by the Director of Solid Waste.
The voucher program is a special service to our customers and is included in your monthly fee. Abuse of this special service can result in additional costs to you, the Utility Bill payer or the taxpayer.
Last updated Mar 18, 2020