Recycling carts are provided to each household and are delivered by City crews. Recycling carts are the property of the City of Minneapolis and must remain with the designated property.
All recycling must be at the collection point, at the alley or curb line, by 6 a.m. on your collection day.
About the Carts
- Carts are 95-gallons in size. Medium sized 64-gallon carts are available upon request.
- Do not paint or alter the exterior of the bin with the exception of placing your address on the cart.
- Recycling carts must be clear of snow and ice in the winter. See Snow Shoveling for specific shoveling requirements.
- To protect bins and recycling from theft or vandalism, keep your bin inside your yard, fence or garage until you set it out for collection.
Using the Cart
To make recycling easy, the Minneapolis recycling program utilizes a one-sort method. This means that all of your recyclable materials can be comingled in your recycling cart. The chart below details acceptable materials.
Missing Recycling Cart
If your recycling cart is missing, take a look in your alley to see if your recycling cart was moved or placed at another house in error. If you find your recycling cart at another location, go ahead and take it back. If you cannot find it, please call the Solid Waste & Recycling and our staff will assist you in locating your recycling cart, or we will have another one delivered.
If you have a recycling cart that does not belong to you, please call Solid Waste & Recycling and our staff will locate where the cart belongs.
Solid Waste & Recycling will remove blue one-sort recycling carts from households who have place items in their cart(s) that are not recyclable. Carts may also be removed if the household does not regularly participate in the one-sort recycling program.
Prior to cart removal one or more educational tags will be left on the cart, and a letter will be mailed to the property advising that contamination was found or that the property was noted for non-participation.
When possible, a Cart Removal Notice will be left on the garbage cart when the recycling cart is removed.
There are two options to have the recycling cart(s) returned:
- No cost: Wait three (3) months and call our office to request the cart(s) be returned. Solid Waste & Recycling will collect recyclables set out in cardboard boxes or paper bags during the three (3) month waiting period.
- For a fee: Call our office to have the cart(s) returned before the three (3) month waiting period is over. There is a $15 per cart fee to have the cart(s) returned early. This fee will be added to the City of Minneapolis Utility Bill. The utility bill payer must complete a Utility Bill Charge Authorization form and submit it to our office before the carts will be returned.
Damaged or Broken Recycling Cart
Our crews will repair and replace lids and wheels on damaged carts. Call Solid Waste & Recycling and our staff will schedule the repair. If the repair is not made or a replacement was not delivered within one month, please call again.
Clean Recycling Carts Help Us Serve You Better
Washing recycling carts regularly prevents buildup of residue and bad smells. A dirty cart is more likely to attract unwanted animals that can chew on and damage carts.
To clean your recycling cart, put a little soap or baking soda in the bottom, turn the cart on its side and spray the cart out with a hose. If you do not have access to a hose, a mop can be used to clean out the insides of the cart.
Report Stolen or Misused Recycling Carts
Recycling containers are some times stolen, set on fire, and used by others. Taking of a cart, setting a cart on fire, or use of other resident's collection point is illegal. City Ordinance 225.10 states in part: "No person shall leave, throw, or deposit, or use or permit any other person to leave, place, throw, or deposit, any substances or materials of any kind at a city solid waste collection point…for city disposal when the substances or materials were generated at a location other than the residence."
If you see any illegal use of garbage or recycling carts anywhere in the City of Minneapolis, please write down the license number, vehicle description, description of the persons, or the item that was dumped and report this to our office at (612) 673-2917. Your call will remain anonymous upon request.
Last updated Nov 15, 2017