With a little effort, it’s easy to keep our medians, traffic circles, diverters and other public green spaces beautiful year-round. The Adopt-A-Median program is provided through a joint agreement between the City of Minneapolis’ Solid Waste & Recycling and Transportation Divisions for individuals, businesses, block clubs, and organizations who are interested in installing and maintaining plantings, and providing general cleaning and litter control to enhance the appearance and aesthetics of these areas.
By Participating in this program, you agree to:
- Adopt the entire median or other area, and agree to maintain it during all seasons.
- Provide a plan to Public Works that describes what will be placed in the area, including plantings, mulch, groundcover or landscaping materials. Public Works reserves the right to approve or deny anything that may interfere with the safe passage of traffic, including line-of-sight or other obstructions.
- Furnish and install, at your own cost, any plantings and other materials and provide for ongoing maintenance in a reasonable and attractive manner. The adopter is advised that the City uses sodium chloride for winter ice control. Public Works reserves the right to require removal of unkempt or abandon installations.
- Clean the area at least four times per year, including litter cleanup and provide for timely removal of dead plants and weeks. Adopter s responsible for disposal of all waste vegetation, materials and litter.
- Adopter must agree to all terms and conditions, safety guidelines and Waivers.
Instructions and application (pdf)
For questions, contact the Solid Waste and Recycling Division’s Clean City Coordinator at (612) 673-2789.
Last updated Sep 20, 2018