The City of Minneapolis has placed litter containers in high pedestrian traffic areas in an effort to reduce the amount of litter that finds its way onto the street. When you volunteer for the Adopt-A-Litter Container program, you’re helping us place and maintain litter containers in other areas that need them.
By participating in this program, you agree to:
- Adopt the litter container for a minimum of two years.
- Select from two levels of involvement by either (A) removing filled bags from the litter container and placing them in your garbage cart or waste dumpster, or (B) requesting removal service from the Division of Solid Waste and Recycling for a monthly fee to be added to your utility bill. The cost for removal services is $12.00 per month for once a week pickup, $24.00 per month for twice a week pickup, $36.00 per month for three times a week pickup, etc., plus tax.
- Maintain plastic liners (bags) in the litter container at all times.
- Keep the surrounding area clear of snow, ice, litter or other refuse.
- Work in partnership with the City to maintain the physical condition of the container. If you spot graffiti on the litter container, either remove the graffiti or contact the Clean City Coordinator for assistance. If the litter container is damaged, contact the Division of Solid Waste and Recycling for repairs or replacement.
Instructions and application (pdf)
For questions, contact the Solid Waste and Recycling Division’s Clean City Coordinator at (612) 673-2789.
Last updated May 19, 2014