City of Minneapolis Container Rentals
Solid Waste & Recycling is not accepting container rental applications for deliveries January 19, 2018 - February 9, 2018.
- Deliver only within the limits of the City of Minneapolis.
- Deliver and pickup is only available *Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. *If the event falls on a major holiday, containers will be delivered one day before and collected the next working day after the holiday.
- Application and payment MUST be received at least 10 days before the date of the delivery. Solid Waste Management taxes and fees related to renting garbage carts will be billed following the event. Additional fees may also be charged to the applicant following the event. See the Possible Additional Fees section below for more information.
- The event organizer has the right to place containers where needed throughout the event site. All containers must be returned to the same location that we dropped them off for the crew to pick them up. Containers must be ready for pick-up by 7 a.m. on the collection date.
- Containers are not emptied during your rental period. An additional fee of $5 per bag will be charged for any extra garbage, recycling, or organics that are placed next to the containers for pickup. Make sure sufficient carts are rented to collect all materials to avoid added charges.
- Any special services requested by the applicant should be made before submitting the application and payment. Some requests can be accommodated at an additional cost. Please call 612-673-3536 for more information.
- You may attach temporary signs to any of the containers, but do not write on or deface the containers as you may be charged a damaged container fee. For printable signs or sign examples, visit Hennepin County's or the Recycling Association of Minnesota's websites.
- Weekend events require the containers to be delivered to a secure location on Friday, with collection from the same location on Monday. Reminder: If Monday is a major holiday, they will be picked up on the following work day. See holiday schedule.
- If feasible, we will track collection weights and provide them to the event organizer upon request prior to container delivery.
Rental fees are non-refundable. An $80 mobilization fee is charged for all container rentals. As rental is based on request, not your usage, rental fees are non-refundable.
Rental of 1 - 4 carts: The $80 mobilization fee covers the rental of 4 or fewer carts. State Solid Waste Management Taxes and Solid Waste Management fees will apply to any garbage carts rented. Click here for MN Department of Revenue exemption information.
If renting more than four carts the $80 mobilization fee covers the per cart rental fees for the first four carts (recycling or organics carts counted first). Each additional cart above the four carts covered by the mobilization fee includes the following charges:
o Recycling cart: $5 per cart
o Organics cart: $5 per cart
o Garbage cart: $15 per cart
State solid waste management taxes and County solid waste management fees apply on any garbage carts rented.
If renting 20 – 40 carts, two $80 mobilization fees are charged that each cover the rental costs for four carts (recycling or organics carts counted first). Each additional cart above the eight covered by the mobilization fee is charged the per cart fee identified above.
If renting 40 – 60 carts, three $80 mobilization fees are charged, and so on.
- Missing or Damaged Containers: The organizer is responsible for the safekeeping of the containers and will be charged $50 per container that is missing or damaged.
- Contamination: If recycling or organics containers are contaminated, the person or organization renting the container(s) will be charged a $10 fee per cart to have the material dumped as garbage.
- Extra Materials: For any bagged materials that do not fit in any cart, an additional fee of $5 per bag will be charged.
- Unacceptable Materials: The person or organization renting the container(s) is responsible for the material placed into the containers.
- No yard waste or hazardous waste may be placed in any of the containers.
- Hazardous waste fees begin at $75 with an upper limit based on the cost to properly dispose of the hazardous waste placed in the container(s).
- Returned Check: A $30 fee will be charged for any returned checks.
- Complete the Rental Application and
- Email to [email protected], fax to 612-673-2250, or mail or drop off the application and payment to the address listed on the rental application.
- You must pay the full balance for container rentals by check (mailed or delivered to our office) or by credit card by selecting the rental charged to be added to your City of Minneapolis Utility Bill or by requesting an invoice for the rental fees. Checks may also be written to pay the utility bill or invoice. If writing a check, make the check or money order payable to: Minneapolis Finance Department.
- Additional fees may be charged to the applicant following the event if damages, additional materials, unacceptable materials, or contamination of materials occurs.
What you can expect from us
- Once the application has been received, you will receive an email confirmation and a work order.
- Confirmation email will include contact information for the Foreman who will process your request. You will be able to contact the Foreman with any additional follow up information or needs, after the application approval.
If you have any questions regarding the Container Rental program, please call 612-673-3536.
Last updated May 17, 2017