Nicollet-Central Modern Streetcar Project
The 3.4-mile Nicollet-Central Modern Streetcar will be the first modern streetcar in Minneapolis. The corridor runs between Lake Street and at least 5th Street NE on Nicollet Avenue, Nicollet Mall and Hennepin/1st Avenues, using the Hennepin Avenue Bridge to cross the Mississippi River. An alternatives analysis was completed in 2013, and the City of Minneapolis and the Metropolitan Council are currently working together to do further planning for the project.
Other Planning Efforts
Planning is underway in two additional corridors identified in the Minneapolis Streetcar Feasibility Study:
- Midtown Corridor Alternatives Analysis
- West Broadway Transit Study (coming in 2014)
On October 2013, the City Council approved the Nicollet-Central Modern Streetcar as the recommended locally preferred alternative resulting from the Nicollet-Central Transit Alternatives Study. The decision follows over a year of technical analysis and public engagement through the Study.
- Nicollet-Central Transit Alternatives Study Recommended Locally-Preferred Alternative Report – Nov. 2013 (PDF, 7 MB)
- Other Nicollet-Central Transit Alternatives Study Documents
In March 2010, the City Council approved the long-term streetcar network identified in the Minneapolis Streetcar Feasibility Study Final Report. This report recommends a long-term streetcar network made of seven of the most heavily used Primary Transit Network corridors that could be implemented in 20-50 years, depending on funding availability. It was developed with the assistance of the 30+ member Access Minneapolis Project Steering Committee and presented in nine public meetings held in October 2007. The final report was completed and presented to City Council in January 2008.
- Streetcar Feasibility Study Final Report – Dec. 2007 (PDF, 7 MB)
- Streetcar Feasibility Study Executive Summary – Dec. 2007 (PDF, 600 K)
- Long-Term Streetcar Network Map – Dec. 2007 (PDF, 400 K)
(Additional supporting documentation from the Feasibility Study is available under Project Documents.)
In March 2010, a second study, the Minneapolis Streetcar Funding Study Final Report was also presented to City Council. This report examines a set of financial tools that could enable funding of a possible "starter line" in the long-term streetcar network, including both local funding options and federal funding options.
- Streetcar Funding Study Final Report – March 2010 (PDF, 4 MB)
- Streetcar Funding Study Executive Summary – March 2010 (PDF, 800 K)
- Streetcar Funding Study Presentation to T&PW Committee – March 23, 2010 (PDF, 3 MB)
Last updated Apr 30, 2014