Street Sweeping in Minneapolis
Fall comprehensive street sweeping and leaf collection will occur starting October 22, 2013. The Street Sweeping Schedule Lookup is available and will be updated as needed. Thanks for your cooperation. Additional note (November 14, 2013): Due to the unforeseen late leaf drop this season, crews will be returning to some of the streets that were swept earlier to try to collect more leaves. Please watch for temporary no Parking signs. The Schedule Lookup will be updated to reflect streets to be swept. Vehicles parked out of compliance are subject to a ticket and tow.
Each spring and fall, Public Works crews sweep every mile of the City's more than 1,100 miles of streets – curb to curb – to help keep our neighborhoods clean and livable and to protect our waterways. Leaves and other debris on the streets can clog storm drains and pollute our lakes and rivers.
Street sweeping usually takes about four weeks to complete.
- "No Parking signs" – City crews will post "No Parking" signs at least 24 hours before sweeping any streets. Parking will be banned from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on the day a street is swept. Vehicles not removed will be towed to the Minneapolis Impound Lot.
- Use the Street Sweeping Schedule Lookup The schedule is updated frequently during the sweep to reflect the actual progress of street sweeping.
- Phone calls to residents – During the spring and fall sweeps, in addition to the "No Parking" signs that will be posted the day before sweepers come through, the City will make about 3,500 automated phone calls each evening to let residents know their street will be swept the next day. Listed, residential telephone numbers will be called.
- Videos – Street sweeping is explained in English, Hmong, Somali and Spanish as part of the City’s “Did you know...” series of short videos that can be viewed at www.YouTube.com/cityofminneapolis and on City cable channels 14 and 79. Residents who have friends or neighbors who speak these languages are encouraged to share links to the videos.
- English: See how and why Minneapolis sweeps streets and what you can do to help keep streets and waterways clean in this video from the Minneapolis “Did you know…” series.
- Spanish: Vea en este video de las series “Sabia Usted” como y porque Minneapolis barre las calles y limpia las vias fluviales.
- Somali: Ka daawo fiidyowga taxanaha… ee Minneapolis ee loo yaqaan “Ma Ogtahay” siyaabaha iyo sababaha minneapolis jidadka ay u xaaqido oo ogow sidii aad uga caawin lahayd ilaalinta nadaafada jidadka iyo biyo mareenada.
- Hmong: Yog xav paub ntxiv, sais nroog Minneapolis cov tshooj xov xwm hu, “Koj pos paub.”
Last updated Nov. 15, 2013