Storm and Surface Water Management
Want to learn how to keep your lawn healthy and attractive in a sustainable way?
Check out these videos from the Mississippi Watershed Management Organization:
Is your home or business in danger of flooding?
If you feel your home or business is susceptible to flooding due to recent heavy rains, you can find out the proper way to build and stack sand bags in this video from North Dakota State University.
What is the purpose of this site?
- To increase awareness of stormwater management and surface water quality issues
- To provide information about City of Minneapolis programs and operations that will improve surface water quality
- To encourage community involvement and participation in watershed stewardship
Storm and Surface Water
What are storm and surface waters and how are they related?
Stormwater is rainwater. Surface water is lakes, rivers, ponds and other water collection areas. Stormwater eventually empties into surface waters, so it is very important that everyone does their part to keep the stormwater as clean as possible.
Why is managing storm and surface waters so important?
Managing stormwater and surface water protects and improves the quality of our lakes, streams & rivers and helps to control flooding.
- Green Initiatives - Making a Difference
- Classroom Resources - Teaching aids and educational programs for both children and adults of all generations
- System Overview - Fact and history about the City of Minneapolis storm drain and sanitary sewer system
Stormwater News ...
Ever wondered what you can do to help keep Minneapolis streets and waterways clean? From the City of Minneapolis "Did you know..." series, see a video about how and why the City of Minneapolis sweeps streets.
When is snows, make sure to clear your sidewalks of snow and ice to keep them safe. In another great video from the City of Minneapolis "Did you know..." series, learn in this video why you should use salt sparingly.
Check out this De-icing Salt and Water Quality video from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency about why it is important to stick toa low-salt diet.
The Mississippi Watershed Management Organization produced this YouTube video that will help you use the best tool to keep driveways and sidewalks safe in the wintertime. Includes information about what deicers to use and when to use them.
Learn how to prevent stormwater pollution by keeping salt out of the lakes, rivers and streams of Minneapolis.
Read Residential Snow and Ice Care
Stormwater Documents & Information…
- Stormwater Utility Fee
- Rain Garden FAQ (pdf)
- Local Surface Water Management Plan
- NPDES Annual Report Documents
- Erosion and Sediment Control for Land-Disturbing Activities
Last updated Nov 20, 2015