Public Works Logo

Public Works
350 South 5th Street
RM 203 City Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55415-1390

To contact, call 311.

Flood Zones and Insurance

Your homeowner or renter's insurance policy may not cover losses due to flooding

Most homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage from heavy rain, snow melt or sewer backups. If the house you live in has plumbing fixtures or floor drains below ground level, the basement could flood.

If your home is in a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) designated flood zone, your mortgage lender will require flood insurance. If your home has flooded in the past and you feel your home might flood again, even if you do not live in a designated flood zone, consider getting flood insurance. Insurance policies may require a 30-day waiting period before becoming effective, so check with your insurance agent.

Flood Zones

FEMA designated flood zones are adjacent to water bodies where water can overflow its banks following heavy rainfall.

See the FEMA Flood Map Service Center for information about flood zone maps.

National Flood Insurance Program

The City of Minneapolis participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which means all residents are eligible to purchase flood insurance.

Most insurance companies offer flood insurance policies, but the cost of flood insurance can vary, depending on what FEMA designated flood zone you live in. Coverage for household contents is separate, meaning renters can also purchase flood insurance.

Federal Disaster Areas

To be eligible for federal assistance under the Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, the President of the United States needs to declare the area a Federal Disaster Area. Things to be of:

Other Resources

Disclaimer: The information on this page is merely a summary of flood insurance information. For more information, contact your insurance agent.

Last updated Feb 11, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo