Public Works Logo

Public Works
350 South 5th Street
RM 203 City Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55415-1390

To contact, call 311.

Flood Information FAQ

Whether your home has major flooding or a small puddle in your basement, you need information in a hurry. Here are answers to frequently asked flooding related questions.  If you can't find the answer here, or if need to report a flooding problem, you can access the Minneapolis Sewer Operations - Contact Information for links, phone numbers and hours.

How do I clean up after a flood?

If your basement is flooded, please review Flood Damage. There are important safety concerns you should know about before dealing with home flooding.

How can water enter my house?

Water can enter your house in a number of ways:

    • A major rainstorm or flooding
    • Sanitary sewer service can back up through a floor drain or a toilet
    • Groundwater seepage

How can I prevent groundwater seepage and sewer backups?

If your home has plumbing fixtures or floor drains below street level, water can enter your house. For more information, see Floodproofing Your Home.

Can I find the flooding history of my area?

Call Minneapolis Public Works at 612-673-2406 between 7:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for historical information about areas that have flooded in the past. The information you provide will start a process to evaluate property condition, based on flood complaints. This information will be forwarded to an appropriate City representative. For additional information, see Contact Information.

Will my homeowner's or renter’s insurance pay for flood damage?

Your homeowner or renter's insurance policy may not cover losses caused by flooding. Additional insurance called Flood Insurance is required if you live in a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) designated flood zone or floodplain. You may also purchase optional flood insurance for non-FEMA designated areas if your area is subject to flooding.

How do I know if my property is in a FEMA designated flood zone?

Flood zones or floodplains in Minneapolis are mapped by the FEMA. You can go to the FEMA Flood Map Service Center to access flood maps, or call Minneapolis Public Works at 612-673-2406 to find the flooding or drainage history in your area.  

If my property is not in a FEMA designated flood zone, does this mean I will not get flooded?

Not necessarily. Many areas in Minneapolis are not designated as a FEMA flood zone, but have experienced flooding in the past. The Flood Mitigation Program was designed to prevent future flooding in these areas. Other undiscovered flood areas may still exist in Minneapolis.

If there is a flood, what can I do to keep my family safe?

Take steps ahead of time to prepare for possible flooding in the future. For additional information, see Flood Safety.

Can I purchase flood insurance if my property is not in a flood hazard area?

Yes, the City of Minneapolis participates in the National Flood Insurance Program. You may purchase flood insurance, regardless of where in the flood zone your home is.

Last updated Feb 11, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo