Public Works

350 South 5th Street
RM 203 City Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55415-1390

Utility Permits

Permits are required by city ordinance to allow the installation, repair, removal or relocation of a utility which projects onto, under or over any City of Minneapolis public property or right of way. In order to obtain a permit a number of Public Works offices need to review and approve a permit application before a permit can be issued. The repair, removal or relocation of the utility will be at the sole cost of the utility owner.

Lane Use/Obstruction Permits:
Obstruction permits are required when any portion of a city street, parking lane or sidewalk is obstructed for the purpose of construction, demolition, utility repair, etc.

Registration and approval is done online at Lane Use Application. The City requires 24 hour notice if parking meters need to be hooded, or 48 hours if streets must be posted for "No Parking."

A permit is required to park vehicles in the obstructed area. Lane use fees may apply if a travel or parking lane is closed. Meter hooding fees apply if parking meters need to be hooded for the project.

Right-of-Way Excavation Permit:
A Right-of-Way Excavation Permit is required by anyone seeking to excavate in the right-of-way.

Right-of-Way User Registration:
A Right-of-Way User Registration Application must be completed by anyone having equipment or facilities located in the right-of-way or by any contractor seeking to perform any work in the right-of-way. Registration must be renewed annually.

Sanitary Sewer Connection Permit (New Sewer Tap permit):
A Sewer permit is required if connecting to the sewer system. If a new sewer connection is from the main sewer line a new sewer permit is required. If a new connection to the sewer uses an existing sewer connection to the sewer main, then a sewer extension permit is required.  These permits are issued by the Utility Connections Office.

Storm Sewer Connection Permit:
A Storm Sewer permit is required if connecting to the storm sewer system. If a new storm sewer connection is from the main sewer line a new storm sewer permit is required. If a new connection to the storm sewer uses an existing storm sewer connection to the storm sewer main, then a storm sewer extension permit is required. These permits are issued by the Utility Connections Office. Permit requests will be forwarded, by the Utility Connections Office, to the Public Works Surface Water & Sewers Division, which must approve the plan prior to permit issuance.

Street Restoration:
All street removal and restoration will be done to the specifications of the Public Works Department. Use of a fee schedule for Restoration Cost will be paid at the time a permit is approved. In the event that Public Works Department must excavate a larger area then originally permitted, permittee will be billed for change in size.  Repair of the excavated street will be done in a manner which restores the maximum future utilization of the street.

Utility Repair Permit:
Utility Repair Permits are issued to licensed contractors for making repairs or alterations to city water and sewer lines. Repair permits may also be issued for new water connections, if the new installation includes adding a future use line. Other examples of utility repair permits are for extending water, sewer, or storm sewer lines, manhole repairs, or extensions of lines from the water or sewer mains.

Fee Schedule:
Once your application has been reviewed, each permitting office will inform the Utility Connections Office of the applicable fee which should be collected. The Utility Connections Office will inform you of this amount and will collect the necessary fees prior to the issuance of any permits

Additional Information is available if needed. If you are uncertain about the information we are requesting, please contact the Utility Connections Office. (612) 673-2451  FAX (612)673-3446



















Last updated Jul 31, 2013



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service


facebook25x25 twitter25x25 youtube25x25 Minneapolis311icon logo tv 14 footer icon image linkedin_32x32