Public Works

350 South 5th Street
RM 203 City Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55415-1390

Use of City Property or Street/Object in Right of Way/Encroachment

Encroachment Permit

In order to occupy public right of way, an Encroachment Permit is required for any existing or proposed structure or portion thereof that projects onto, under or over any municipal right of way, under the authority outlined in Title 5, Chapter 95, of the City of Minneapolis Code of Ordinances. The Encroachment Permit gives the permit-holder permission to use a specific portion of the right of way until such time as that portion of the right of way is needed by the City of Minneapolis for public purposes. Encroachment Permits are revocable at any time in the interest of public safety.

Application for an Encroachment Permit (pdf)

Banner/Seasonal Decoration Permit

Banner and Seasonal Decorations Attached to Poles in the Right of Way

A banner permit is required for attaching banners to poles in the right of way (Minneapolis Code of Ordinances Title 17 Chapter 449). Banners can be used to identify a historical location place of interest, or an event of public interest taking place within or benefiting the city. They may also be used to promote arts and cultural activities including events, festivals, tourism or civic programs, as well as major sporting events. Banners cannot advertise specific businesses, products, or services. They also cannot advertise or promote political candidates, parties, issues, or messages. Contact the Public Works Right of Way office at (612) 673-2403

Bus Bench Permit

If you are interested in having a bus bench placed at a bus stop, please contact your Ward Council Member. This permit is obtained by a private contractor. This permit requires review by Sidewalk Inspections, and is signed off by the Council Member of the ward. The City Council grants final approval of this permit.

Right of Entry Permit

In order to temporarily use city owned land a Right of Entry Permit must be obtained. Contact the Public Works Right of Way office at (612) 673-2403.

Malls and Plazas Use Permits

A permit is required to use or hold an event at the following City owned locations:

Peavey Plaza, The Loring Greenway, The Chicago Mall (between the Guthrie Theater and the Mill City Museum), Pioneer and Soldier’s Memorial Cemetery, Nicollet Mall, Other miscellaneous City owned properties. Follow link for self service information.

Malls and Plazas Use Permits

Last updated Mar 28, 2017



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service


facebook25x25 twitter25x25 youtube25x25 Minneapolis311icon logo tv 14 footer icon image linkedin_32x32