Public Works

350 South 5th Street
RM 203 City Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55415-1390

Construction Permits

Lane Use/Obstruction Permits

Obstruction permits are required when any portion of a city street, parking lane or sidewalk is obstructed for the purpose of construction, demolition, utility repair, etc.

Registration and approval is done online at Lane Use Application. The City requires 24 hour notice if parking meters need to be hooded, or 48 hours if streets must be posted for "No Parking."

Fees: There is no charge for the actual permit, but the permit is required to park vehicles in the obstructed area. Lane use fees may apply if a travel or parking lane is closed. Meter hooding fees apply if parking meters need to be hooded for the project.

Right-of-Way Excavation Permit

A Right-of-Way Excavation Permit is required by anyone seeking to excavate in the right-of-way. Application for a permit is made to the Utility Connections Office.

The posting of a construction performance bond is also required. If the permit application is approved, the Utility Connections Office will issue your permit. If your application is rejected, you may either submit a new application with revisions or appeal the denial to the City Council through its Transportation and Public Works Committee.


Sanitary and Stormwater Permits


Erosion & Sediment Control Permit/Plan Approval

All Minneapolis construction sites disturbing topsoil are subject to erosion control compliance. Sites disturbing more than five cubic yards or 500 square feet of topsoil, including utility excavations and any residential or commercial demolition projects, need an erosion control permit prior to the start of work. Demolition and construction sites great than 5000 square feet require an approved erosion control plan prior to a permit being issues for the site.

Chapter 52: Erosion and Sediment Control for Land-Disturbing Activities

Soil Erosion Application and Fee Schedule

Stormwater Management Plan Approval

Stormwater Management Plans approved by the Public Works Department are required for all construction projects on sites greater than 1 acre in size, including phased or connected actions. These plans are reviewed through the Minneapolis Development Review process. Responsibility for ongoing operation and maintenance is one component of the Stormwater Management Plan. Stormwater devices shall be registered with the City, with an annual permit being required for each registered stormwater device.

Chapter 54: Stormwater Management for Development and Re-development

Street Restoration Charge (part of Utility Permit)

Street removal and restoration is to be done to the specifications of the Public Works Department. Use of a fee schedule for Restoration Cost will be paid at the time a permit is approved. In the event that Public Works Department must excavate a larger area then originally permitted, permittee will be billed for change in size. Repair of the excavated street will be done in a manner which restores the maximum future utilization of the street. Please contact the Utility Connections Office at (612) 673-2451

Object in Right of Way/Encroachment Permits

In order to occupy public right of way, an Encroachment Permit is required for any existing or proposed structure or portion thereof that projects onto, under or over any municipal right of way, under the authority outlined in Title 5, Chapter 95, of the City of Minneapolis Code of Ordinances. The Encroachment Permit gives the permit-holder permission to use a specific portion of the right of way until such time as that portion of the right of way is needed by the City of Minneapolis for public purposes. Encroachment Permits are revocable at any time in the interest of public safety.

Application for an Encroachment Permit (pdf)


Water Permits


Sidewalk Owner's Request Work

Sidewalk Inspections will administer Owner’s Request Work using the City hired sidewalk contractor when the City hired sidewalk contractor is working in a designated area doing Sidewalk Repair Program work. The Sidewalk Inspector will provide a slip (the Owner’S Request Slip), with estimate, to the property owner requesting the work. The Owner’S request Slip must be signed before the Owner’S Request Work will be done. Property Owners can either pay for the work upon billing, or, allow the cost of the requested work to be assessed as a special assessment to their property taxes. This work is limited to work in the Public Right Of Way, and is not for work on private property. This work would only be additional sidewalk or other concrete flatwork that was not required via the Sidewalk Repair Notice. Contact Sidewalk Inspections at 673-2420.

Special Boulevard Permit (Sidewalk)

This is a permit for private treatments by property owners in the City Right Of Way as described in the Boulevard Ordinance. The Special Boulevard Permit requires City Council approval. Some commonly requested property owner treatments include special sidewalk or boulevard paving and certain plantings not allowed by the ordinance without this permit. Contact Sidewalk Inspections at 673-2420.

Sidewalk Construction Permit

A Sidewalk Construction Permit must be obtained by all private concrete contractors working in the City of Minneapolis Right Of Way. This permit can be obtained by logging on to the website: and following the directions on the website.

Contractors working in the Public Right of Way in the City of Minneapolis must also obtain a $15,000 Sidewalk Contractors Bond prior to applying for a Sidewalk Construction Permit.

Utility Repair Permit

Utility Repair Permits are issued to licensed contractors for making repairs or alterations to city water and sewer lines. Repair permits may also be issued for new water connections, if the new installation includes adding a future use line. Other examples of Utility Repair Permits are for extending water, sewer, or storm sewer lines, manhole repairs, or extensions of lines from the Water or Sewer mains.

Last updated Jul 24, 2013



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service


facebook25x25 twitter25x25 youtube25x25 Minneapolis311icon logo tv 14 footer icon image linkedin_32x32