Public Works Job Opportunities
Public Works is Hiring - Automotive Mechanic Trainee - Applications Due June 14, 2019
- Candidate hired divide their time between formal schooling and closely supervised work in the Public Works' vehicle maintenance facilities.
- Candidate will complete the coursework requirements to earn an auto technician designation from an approved partner program and maintain a 2.5 Grade Point Average.
- Candidate will help to develop well-rounded skills necessary to become an Automotive Mechanic with the City of Minneapolis.
- Regularly attend classes as scheduled by the school and the trainee supervisor.
- Maintain a full-time course load as established by the educational institution.
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5.
- Valid Class D Driver's License at time of Hire
- Must obtain a Class B with air brake endorsement within 1 year of hire.
- The City will provide training and assistance as needed to obtain a CDL.
- You must submit a resume and cover letter online telling us why you are interested in this opportunity and why you would be a good candidate for the program along with your official City application.
- Without it, your application will be deemed as incomplete and will not be submitted for further consideration.
- Criminal Background Check
- Drug and Alcohol Screening
- Medical Examination
Archive of Yearly Job Openings Below: Check back in Fall 2019 when these jobs are active again.
Public Works is Hiring - APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED AS OF OCTOBER 31, 2018.
APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING POSITIONS ARE CLOSED AS OF OCTOBER 31, 2018. As these jobs are a yearly occurrence, information will remain for your reference. Please check back in October 2019 for activity on these positions.
The City will begin accepting applications for the following positions on October 1, 2018:
- Public Works Service Worker I
- Public Works Service Worker Trainee
- Public Works Service Worker II
- Water Works Service Worker I
- Water Works Service Worker I Trainee
All application materials must be received no later than October 31, 2018. To be considered for a position and to review the qualifications and requirements please see the information below.
- Position Information
- Information Sessions
- About Public Works
Please check out Quick Links for a list of documents and videos.
Lynnette Douglas-Coleman is a Public Works Service Worker I. She has a lot to share about working in the Surface Water & Sewer division.
Danny Dick, Public Works Service Worker I, works in Solid Waste & Recycling. Hear what he has to say about working in his division.
Applications will be accepted beginning October 1. All applications and related materials must be received no later than October 31.
To be considered for a position and to review the qualifications, please visit the City of Minneapolis Job Opportunities site and follow the instructions to submit your application materials. If you have questions, please contact Human Resources at (612) 673-2282 ext. 0.
- The City only accepts applications online. We do not have a paper application.
- A valid email address is required to create an account. All communication with applicants will be via email, so be sure to check your email frequently (including spam/junk mailbox).
- Provide your legal name as it appears on your Social Security card. Format your name in upper and lower case letters.
- All required documents listed on the job posting must be submitted with a completed application by the closing date. Incomplete applications may be rejected.
- A resume is not a substitute for completing the online application. If the online application does not include complete information, it will not be considered further.
- Online applications are stored on a secure site. Only authorized employees have access to the information submitted.
- The City of Minneapolis does not retain applicant login or password information .Forgotten passwords can be reset by clicking "Reset Password" on the login page.
- Your application status will be updated throughout the hiring process, and is found within your account under "Applications and Status".
Marge Mollers is a Public Works Service Worker I. Hear what she has to share about working Solid Waste & Recycling - Organics division.
Our information sessions offer you the opportunity to go beyond the website and talk to department representatives about what skills Public Works is seeking and the application process. Computer access will be available to help candidates apply online during the sessions. Information sessions are conveniently located throughout the city on the following dates:
- Emerge – 1834 Emerson Ave No. Mpls, MN 55411. October 16, 2018 1-3pm
- Sabathani – 310 E. 38th Street Mpls, MN 55409 October 17, 2018 5-7pm
- Minneapolis Urban League – 2100 Plymouth Ave No. Mpls, MN 55411 October 22, 2018 5-7pm
- American Indian OIC – 1845 East Franklin Ave. Mpls, MN 55404 October 23, 2018 3-5pm
- Harrison Neighborhood Association Office – 503 Irving Ave No. Mpls, MN 55405 October 24, 2018 6-8pm
- Cedar Riverside Opportunity Center – 505 15th Ave So. Mpls, MN 55454 October 25, 2018 10am-12pm
- CAPI Immigrant Opportunity Center – 5930 Brooklyn Blvd Brooklyn Center MN 55429. October 25, 2018 3-5pm
- Summit Academy OIC – 935 Olson Memorial Hwy Mpls, MN 55405 October 30, 2018 3-5pm
Download Information Session Information here: 2018 Information Sessions - All. PDF
Miles Cunningham is a Public Works Service Worker I. Check out his experiences working in the Surface Water & Sewers division.
Our mission is to build, operate and maintain the public infrastructure and provide services with a high performing Public Works department, where collaborative leadership and public/private engagement are standard business practices.
- Surface Waters & Sewer
- Solid Waste & Recycling
- Water Treatment & Distribution Services
- Fleet Services
- Transportation Engineering & Design
- Traffic & Parking Services
- Transportation Management & Repair
- Transportation Planning & Programming
For more information about our divisions, download the Public Works brochure.
Applications are now closed for 2018. Please check back in Fall 2019.
Last updated May 22, 2019