Why Walking Matters
The City of Minneapolis places a high value on creating and enhancing pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods, because it makes our community a safer and better place to live, work, and enjoy life.
- Streets and neighborhoods FEEL safer and ARE safer, and Minneapolis is a more vibrant and bustling city, when there are people outside using the sidewalks and pedestrian paths.
- Walking and walkable environments support the local economy. Vibrant public spaces are attractive to both employers and employees when choosing where to locate, and pedestrians support local businesses while en-route to other destinations.
- Walking is a great way to maintain physical fitness, it’s good for your mental health, and it’s good for your pocketbook since walking is free.
- Walking is good for the environment since it’s a form of transportation that doesn’t pollute or use fossil fuels.
- Walking is an essential mode of travel and serves everyone who lives, works, plays in and visits Minneapolis. Everyone walks, whether young or old, whether on foot or using a mobility device, whether as a walking trip alone or in conjunction with driving, taking transit, or bicycling.
- Walking is enjoyable! A good walking environment provides interesting places and opportunities for informal social interaction, making the journey as important as the destination.
Last updated Aug 1, 2017