Applying for Critical Parking Permits
To qualify you must be a licensed driver who lives at, or operates a business, within a Critical Parking Area. Check the Critical Parking Area Maps to verify that you live in a designated area.
Applying in Person
Location and Hours
Minneapolis Development Review
250 S 4 th St. Room 300 (**Free parking in back**)
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: (612) 673-3000
Permit Counter hours:
Monday -Wednesday, Friday
8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
A Valid Driver’s License Required to Purchase a Permit
A valid Driver’s License is required to purchase a Critical Parking Permit. Instruction Permits are not sufficient. A Driver’s License is not required for visitor or service permits.
Required Proof of Residency to Purchase a Permit:
- If Driver’s License has current address, no other form of proof is required.
- If Driver’s License does not show current address, the following may be used as proof of residence with Driver’s License:
- A signed lease with resident’s name and address, or
- Another form of proof, such as utility bill, credit card bill, insurance statement, or similar bill with the name and address of the resident
To speed the process, you may download form(s) below and complete before visiting the permit counter.
To complete Critical Parking Permit application form you’ll need:
- Make, model and year of your vehicle
- License plate number
Cash or checks are accepted. Credit cards are accepted for purchases made in person at the Minneapolis Development Review permit counter.
Authorization for Business to Purchase Permits
Instead of proof of residency, a business must write a letter, on the business’s letterhead, authorizing the person applying for a permit. The letter must contain:
- The name and driver’s license number of each person applying for a permit
- Make, model and year of each person’s vehicle
- License plate number of each vehicle
Critical Parking Permits assigned to a business are not transferable between individuals. For questions, contact Traffic & Parking Services, (612) 673-2886.
Applying by Mail
Download and print the form below for the permit you’d like to purchase.
Send completed form with copy of Driver’s License, proof of residency, and a check or money order, in the correct amount for the permits you are requesting, to:
Traffic & Parking Services
Hawthorne Transportation Center
33 North 9th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55403
Make check or money order payable to: Minneapolis Finance Department.
Up to 1 Year
Up to 1 Year
Up to 1 Year
2 to 30 Days
*In a newly-established or newly-modified area, there is an additional $10 surcharge for 1 year. When mailing your application for the first time, please call (612) 673-2886 to verify whether or not the additional fee is needed.
- One form per permit is required for vehicle permits, Visitor and/or Service permits can be included on the vehicle permit application or applied for with the CPA application.
A false application is grounds for revocation of the permit and is punishable pursuant to Section 1.30 of the Minneapolis City Code:
"Every person convicted of a violation of a provision of the traffic code, which regulates the standing or parking of vehicles, shall be punished by a fine of not more than $100.00"
Permit renewals are handled by mail. Permit holders will be sent a renewal notice with fee indicated for the next year’s permit.
Renewal notices are sent by mail approximately one month prior to the expiration date. If your permit expires at the end of March, you should receive a renewal notice by March 1 st. If a notice is not received, please contact Traffic & Parking Services for additional information.
Last updated Jul 6, 2016