Park board collecting large tree debris from weekend storm
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) responded over the weekend to clear streets and remove downed boulevard trees following the Saturday storm. If you have large tree debris that fell on your property, the park board will be collecting that June16-27.
The wind and rain from the June 14 storm resulted in down trees and limbs, particularly in the southern half of the city. The park board’s forestry crews cleared the streets of more than 70 down boulevard trees on Saturday and Sunday. Going forward, the removal of boulevard trees from streets and homes is the top priority for MPRB’s forestry crews, followed by removal of down trees in parks.
To report a down tree blocking a sidewalk or street, or a boulevard tree down on private property, contact the MPRB’s Forestry Department at 612-313-7710 or email@example.com from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays.
Regular Yard Waste Collection for Smaller Branches
If you have small branches and pieces of brush, you can use the regular weekly Solid Waste & Recycling yard waste collection service to have yard waste picked up. Crews will pick up bundles of brush and small branches that are less than three inches in diameter and less than three feet long.
Here's how to get them ready for pickup:
- Bundle brush and small branches securely with twine or rope. Do not use wire.
- Each bundle must be less than three feet long.
- Each bundle must weigh less than 40 pounds.
- Make sure to have the bundles of yard waste at your alley or curb line, next to the garbage cart, by 6 a.m. on your garbage day.
The guidelines for preparing yard waste for regular collection can be found at www.minneapolismn.gov/solid-waste/yardwaste/solid-waste_yardwaste-preparation
MPRB Curbside Collection of Large Tree Debris: June 16-27
If you have tree debris from the storm that’s larger than can be collected during regular yard waste pickup, you can request to have it picked up by the park board June 16-27. You must contact MPRB’s Forestry Department or Minneapolis 311 to request large tree debris pickup. Due the isolated nature of the damage, the park board is not doing a citywide, street-by-street sweep to pick up storm-related tree debris.
- MPRB Forestry: 612-313-7710
- 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. weekdays
- Minneapolis 311
- 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Monday through Friday
- 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday
MPRB forestry crews will collect tree debris that can be brought to the boulevard June 16-27 for properties affected by the storm. This service is only for Minneapolis property owners clearing their property of storm damaged limbs or trees, and it is only for tree debris - not other debris. Here is how Minneapolis residents should prepare downed trees and branches for collection by the Park Board:
- Move larger limbs, branches, and trunks to the boulevard in front of your house. Park Board crews will pick up and dispose of these items at no charge. This service does not include pick up and disposal of extracted stumps with intact root systems or tree debris. This service is not intended for contractors doing work for property owners or for regular tree pruning. It is only for storm damage tree debris, not construction or other materials. Due to the size of Park Board equipment, storm tree debris will be ONLY collected from boulevards (not alleys).
- Property owners adjacent to tree debris placed on the boulevard are asked not to park vehicles near the debris, to help crews in the removal process. “No parking” signs may be posted and enforced to facilitate pick up of tree debris.
Published Jun 16, 2014