Between 1980 and 2000, the number of housing units in Columbia Park increased 13 percent. Vacant housing units increased from 2 percent of the housing stock in 1980 to 4 percent in 2000.

From 1980 to 2000, renter-occupied housing units in Columbia Park rose by 6 percent while owner-occupied housing decreased. Still, 80 percent of neighborhood dwellings were owner-occupied in 2000, and the other 20 percent were renter-occupied.

Columbia Park's homeowner vacancy rate is lower than Minneapolis', and both the citywide and neighborhood homeowner vacancy rates were at their lowest in 2000. In contrast, the renter vacancy rate for Columbia Park increased constantly to reach 6.5 percent in 2000, surpassing Minneapolis' percentage.

The median value for owner-occupied housing in Columbia Park decreased about $10,700 between 1980 and 2000, while Minneapolis median housing values decreased by only $1,500. In 2000 the gap in values between the city and neighborhood medians was $17,600, $8,700 higher than the gap in 1980.

Between 1980 and 2000, the percentage of income spent on housing in Columbia Park rose incrementally, but never surpassed the citywide percentage. In Columbia Park the figure grew 8 percent, compared to 3 percent in Minneapolis.

Between 1980 and 1990, Columbia Park's median gross rent rose 20 percent, similar to the 17-percent rise for the city. Between 1990 and 2000, however, Columbia Park's median gross rent fell 11 percent while Minneapolis' grew 3 percent. Still, from 1980 to 2000, rent cost more in Columbia Park than in Minneapolis.

The percentage of income spent on rent in Columbia Park increased from 14 percent in 1980 to 18 percent in 2000, peaking at 19 percent in 1990. Similarly, Minneapolis' rate increased from 17 percent in 1980 to 18 percent in 2000, peaking at 20 percent in 1990. In 2000, in both Columbia Park and Minneapolis, median gross rent was 18 percent of median household income.

Last updated Sep 27, 2011



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Salary Compliance Notice:
State statute 471.701; Notice of Salary Compliance, requires that the City post for not less than 90 days
the job title of the three highest paid employees along with their base salary. For 2018 these were:
1. City Attorney, $186,490
2. Assistant City Coordinator Convention Center, $183,600
3. Director Public Works, $181,191


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo