Directory of Services to Neighborhoods
NCR provides guidance and support for your neighborhood organization in a number of ways.
1. Neighborhood Organizations
NCR staff provide support to 70 neighborhood organizations and more than 700 volunteer board members across Minneapolis, and provides in-depth information on neighborhood organizations online.
· Neighborhood Organization contact information, annual reports, financial reports, and other data
2. Neighborhood Plans
NCR staff provide support for resident-based planning through neighborhood organizations:
3. Neighborhood board training and support
· Customized board training for neighborhood organizations
· Review of bylaws and other governing documents
4. Cultural Outreach Assistance
The Access and Outreach staff can assist neighborhood organizations with the following:
· Building and supporting relationships with underrepresented populations
· Developing community dialogues between neighborhood organizations, community organizations and cultural and underrepresented communities and their leadership
· Identifying barriers to participation for underrepresented communities and creating a welcoming environment
· Providing education and cultural context support for neighborhood organizations
· Assisting cultural communities and organizations along with other underrepresented populations understand and navigate neighborhood processes
· Recommending strategies for reaching and engaging cultural and underrepresented communities that meet your neighborhood needs
5. Audits, Financial Reviews and Audit Readiness Dashboards
· NCR utilizes several external CPA firms to provide financial audits, financial reviews, and other audit procedures of neighborhood organizations.
· CPAs provide Audit Readiness consultations, to help neighborhood organization boards better understand strengths and weaknesses
· CPAs also assist neighborhood organization with required annual filings, such as federal 990 returns and the Annual Report for the Minnesota Attorney General’s office
6. Other Risk Management services
· NCR arranges a group Directors and Officers insurance policy that covers most neighborhood organization board and staff
· NCR staff and legal counsel can review bylaws and other neighborhood organization policies
7. Assist and support neighborhood organizations with problem solving
· Responding to complaints and grievances
· Resolving conflict
· Managing conflicts of interest
· Guidance on procedural questions (e.g. Robert’s Rules of Order, etc.)
· Budgeting issues and financial oversight
· Forming and maintaining partnerships
· Responding to crisis situations (e.g. 2011 tornado)
8. Attend neighborhood meetings as requested
NCR staff regularly meet with neighborhood organizations to provide guidance and information, to answer questions or provide guidance on issues such as;
· City programs and other resources
· Outreach to residents and other stakeholders
· Responding to City/develop/other jurisdiction requests
9. Community Connections Conference
Learn more about the Community Connections Conference
NCR staff track funding and implementation of neighborhood plans on our internet database PlanNet.
· For access to customized reports, request a PlanNet username and password from Jack Whitehurst at Jack.Whitehurst@minneapolismn.gov.
11. Other Resources
You can find these other great resources for your neighborhood organization online:
· Links to neighborhood organizations and contacts, neighborhood plans, funding reports, and other information
· Neighborhood profiles with maps, population data and graphs
· MN compass demographic data and reports for all neighborhood in Minneapolis and St Paul
Contact your Neighborhood Specialist to learn more!
Last updated Jan 6, 2016