World Refugee Day
One June 20, the City of Minneapolis recognized the strength, courage and perseverance of immigrants forced from home. OIRA participated in World Refugee Day at City Hall. Around 200 people came out to enjoy free food, dance, special guests and a discussion with local organizations on refugees and community solidarity.
- Mayor Jacob Frey, Council Members Phillipe Cunningham and Abdi Warsame.
- Dr. Xailong Yang of the Hmong Minneapolis Leadership Council.
- Khadija Ali entrepreneur and CEO of Global Language and Staffing.
- Gerardo Cajamarca of SEIU and Colombian activist for human rights.
- Alberder Gillespie, We Count census 2020 project coordinator.
- Ifrah Mansour and Hmong Qeej Rhythm Group Nuj Si Loob
Panelists from afternoon discussion on refugees and community solidarity.
- Sunny Chanthanouvong, Lao Assistance Center of Minnesota, Hue Pham, Vietnamese Social Services, Alfreda Daniels, Black Immigrant Collective, Fartun Weli, Isuroon, Ben Whalen, Minnesota Council of Churches (Refugee Resettlement), Gelek Namgyal, Tibetan American Foundation of Minnesota, and Betsy Fisher, International Refugee Assistance Project.
- We Count 2020 Census, Center for Victims of Torture, Isuroon, Hennepin County Office of Multicultural Affairs, International Institute of Minnesota, Blaisdell YMCA, Tibetan American Association of Minnesota, Lutheran Social Services, Minnesota Council of Churches, Vietnamese Social Services and the Office of Representative Ilhan Omar.
Last updated Aug 23, 2019