Neighborhoods 2020 is an opportunity to further develop and improve upon the City of Minneapolis’ neighborhood based engagement structure. Neighborhood organizations are by the people, for the people. Join the Neighborhoods 2020 mailing list. This does not enroll you in our general update emails.
Draft Program Guidelines - Now Available for Review and Comment
The draft Neighborhoods 2020 Program Guidelines are now available for review and public comment. The official public comment period will be held from February 28 to April 17, 2020.
The draft Neighborhoods 2020 Program Guidelines are centered on building equity in our community. The City has worked closely with neighborhoods, community members and the University of Minnesota’s Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA) on the development of the guidelines. The guidelines align with the City’s adopted Strategic Racial Equity Plan and the Minneapolis 2040 Comprehensive Plan, which states that “Minneapolis will have an equitable civic participation system that enfranchises everyone, recognizes the core and vital service neighborhood organizations provide to the City of Minneapolis, and builds people’s long-term capacity to organize and improve their lives and neighborhoods.”
NCR will be holding community informational meetings. All meetings will have interpreters available. These meetings provide a space where residents can submit public comments. Current meeting dates include:
- March 9: Urban Research and Outreach Engagement Center (UROC) - 6:00-8:00p.m.- 2001 Plymouth Avenue N. Minneapolis, MN 55411
- April 2: Northeast Park and Recreation Center - 6:00-8:00p.m. - 1530 Johnson Street NE, Minneapolis, MN 55418
You may allow submit comments in the following ways:
Text Messaging and Voicemail
Español: (612) 404-2978
Hmoob: (612) 367-6548
Soomaaliga: (612) 404-2978
English: (612) 518-8743
US Postal Service Mail
Neighborhood and Community Relations
105 Fifth Avenue South, Suite 425
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55401
Comments must be received by 11:59p.m., April 17.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to your neighborhood or community specialist at NCR: minneapolismn.gov/ncr/staff.
After the presentation to the City Council Committee of the Whole (CoW) on February 12, the new timeline for Neighborhoods 2020 is as follows:
- February 28: Program Guidelines released for public comment, public comment period begins
- April: Public comment period ends
- May 4: Final guidelines and public comment(s) presented to PECE committee
- May 15: City Council presentation and vote
- Neighborhoods 2020 program guidelines release moved to Feb. 28 (2/21/2020)
- Neighborhoods 2020 update on timeline (1/30/2020)
- Racial equity analysis from the Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (1/16/2020)
- Neighborhoods 2020 updates from the Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (12/13/19)
- City press release on CURA selection for Neighborhoods 2020 (9/16/19)
- Reminder: Today is Neighborhoods 2020 update before the Public Health, Environment, Civil Rights and Engagement Committee (9/16/19)
- Center for Urban and Regional Affairs selected for Neighborhoods 2020 consulting contract (9/6/19)
- A letter from Mayor Frey on neighborhoods and his proposed 2020 budget (8/27/19)
- Latest Neighborhoods 2020 Developments (8/1/19)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Update (7/23/19)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Scope of Services Published (6/24/19)
- June update on Neighborhoods 2020 (6/18/19)
- Update on Neighborhoods 2020 (5/31/19)
- Minneapolis moves forward on Neighborhoods 2020 (5/17/19)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Revised Framework released (5/2/19)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Public Comment Report (4/19/19)
- Neighborhoods 2020: Thank you and next steps (4/1/19)
- Public Comment Open for Neighborhoods 2020 Framework Recommendations (1/28/19)
- Update on Neighborhoods 2020 from David Rubedor (1/8/19)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Community Meetings on Draft Recommendations Start Tomorrow(11/30/18)
- Week of November 26, 2018 Now available: draft work group recommendations(11/26/2018)
- Week of November 19, 2018 Weigh in on Neighborhoods 2020 work groups draft recommendations (11/16/18)
- Week of October 22, 2018 Neighborhoods 2020 Update on Work Groups (10/23/18)
- Week of October 15, 2018 Neighborhoods 2020 Update on Work Groups (10/15/18)
- Week of October 2, 2018 Neighborhoods 2020 Update on Work Groups (10/2/18)
- Week of September 17, 2018 Neighborhoods 2020 Update on Work Groups (9/18/18)
- Week of September 9, 2018 Neighborhoods 2020 Update on Work Groups (9/7/18)
- Update on Work Groups (8/27/18)
- Update on Neighborhoods 2020 Work Groups (8/1/18)
- Update on Neighborhoods 2020 Work Groups (7/19/18)
- Don't forget to submit your Neighborhoods 2020 work group application (6/15/18)
- Two Weeks Left to Join Neighborhoods 2020 Work Groups (6/1/18)
- Deadline for Work Group Applications Extended to June 18 (5/23/18)
- Opportunity to Join the Neighborhoods 2020 Work Groups (5/17/18)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Update (5/11/18)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Update (3/20/18)
Neighborhoods 2020 CURA-led activities
This September, the City of Minneapolis contracted with the University of Minnesota’s Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA) for the final phase of Neighborhoods 2020. Sign up for updates from CURA here.
- Read the scope of services for the Neighborhoods 2020 consulting contracting opportunity which lists CURA's project deliverables.
Documents from CURA
City Council Actions Taken May 17, 2019
See the attached framework resolution and staff directions pending mayoral review below.
- Neighborhoods 2020 Framework Resolution (May 17, 2019 – Final)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Staff Directive – Bender (May 17, 2019)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Staff Directive – Cunningham (May 17, 2019)
Neighborhoods 2020 Framework Recommendations
- Read the revised Neighborhoods 2020 Framework Recommendations that went before the PECE Committee on May 6.
- Presentation to PECE: On May 6, NCR presented the documents and comments at the City Council’s Public Health, Environment, Civil Rights and Engagement (PECE) Committee at a public hearing. Find City Council agenda items and schedules at lims.minneapolismn.gov.
- Read The Community Review Panel Report.
- Read the full original public comments document (31M download).
Recommendations from 2020 work groups
- Work Group Recommendations on Program Guidelines, Funding and Implementation Framework (12/18/18)
- Work Group Recommendations on Governance Advisory Structure for Neighborhood and Community Engagement Framework (12/11/18)
- Work Group Recommendations on Citywide Community Engagement Framework (12/14/18)
Public Comment on Neighborhoods 2020 Framework Recommendations
Members of the public were invited to submit public comment on the document through postal mail, email, voicemail, text message and public meetings on the first draft of the Neighborhoods 2020 Framework Recommendations.
You can read that draft of the Neighborhoods 2020 Framework Recommendations here.
NCR staff attended over 30 neighborhood and community public comment sessions along with five planned multilingual public comment meetings. NCR staff also took public comment at the Community Connections Conference on February 2 as part of a Neighborhoods 2020 open house.
From February 27 to March 21, 2019, NCR staff organized meetings at East Side Neighborhood Services and Martin Luther King, Jr. Park in English, at Harrison Recreation Center in English, Lao and Hmong, at the Cedar Riverside Opportunity Center in Somali, and at the Waite House in Spanish. Public comment was from January 28 to March 31, 2019.
At these 40 total community public comment meetings, NCR reached over 1,000 residents.
>If you have questions, please contact the Neighborhood and Community Relations Department at 612-673-3737 or email to [email protected]
Last updated Feb 28, 2020