Community Planning & Economic Development

Minneapolis Development Review
Public Service Center Building
250 S. 4th St., Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612) 673-3000
Fax: (612) 370-1416
TTY: (612) 673-3300

Service Center Hours
Mon - Wed, Fri
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
9:00 AM – 4:00 PM 

Customers requiring Plan Review, Zoning, Preservation & Design (HPC) or Housing/Rental License services must sign-in by 3:30 PM 

Free Customer Parking!
Map and Parking Information 
Photo of Public Service Center Building

Call 311 Call 3·1·1 for information about the City and City services.


Non-English Resources

Non-English Information, this icon shows text for espanol, hmoob and soomaaliga

Find services and City information translated in other languages.

Wrecking / Moving Permits

The City of Minneapolis issues permits to authorize demolishing or moving a structure.

New Requirements Starting April, 2014

A wrecking permit is required to demolish:

See Minneapolis Code of Ordinance, Chapter 117: Wrecking. A moving permit is required when moving any building from outside into the City of Minneapolis or within the city from another property address. See Minneapolis Code of Ordinance, Chapter 115: Building Moving. There may be additional permits and inspections required, including but not limited to a Soil Erosion Permit. When submitting a Soil Erosion Permit Application you may be required to submit an erosion control plan per Chapter 52, Erosion and Sediment Control for Land Disturbance Activities.

Licensing Requirements for Wrecking

The owner of a single family dwelling not over two stories in height may apply for a permit to do the work themselves. A signed Acknowledgement of Understanding for Wrecking (see the link to the left) is required. The owner of a commercial building must hire a wrecking contractor licensed by the City of Minneapolis Licenses & Regulatory Services division to obtain a permit and perform the work. View the list of Wrecking Contractors.

Licensing Requirements for Moving

A licensed contractor must obtain the permit for moving any building into the City of Minneapolis. Moving contractors are licensed by the State of Minnesota, Department of Transportation.


Last updated Sep 1, 2016