Community Planning & Economic Development

Minneapolis Development Review
250 S. 4th St., Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612) 673-3000

Call 311 Call 3·1·1 for information about the City and City services.


Non-English Resources

Non-English Information, this icon shows text for espanol, hmoob and soomaaliga

Find services and City information translated in other languages.

Plumbing Permits

Note: Many projects require more than one permit. To determine which permits you need for your project, call Minneapolis 311 (if outside the Minneapolis city limits call (612) 673-3000).

A plumbing permit is required to:

Fee Schedule – Effective April 1, 2014

Application Form (PDF)

Backflow Preventor (RPZ) Test Report (PDF)

Backflow Prevention Record Card (PDF)

Backflow Preventer (RPZ) Permits

Per State of Minnesota Statute 4715.2160, an approved Reduced Pressure Zone Backflow Prevention device (RPZ) is required to be installed on equipment connecting to potable water in commercial properties and residential properties of three units or more.

The installation and overhaul of these devices must be performed by a plumber licensed by the City of Minneapolis. Testing of these devices is required to be done annually and an overhaul of the device is required to be performed every fifth year. Testing must be performed by a person accredited by the State of Minnesota for backflow prevention testing.

Important Notice Regarding RPZ Test Permits

A test and inspection record card must be affixed to the device and the date, test results, testers name and certification number must be recorded on the tag after each test. A Backflow Preventer (RPZ) test report, plumbing permit application and permit fee must be submitted by a City of Minneapolis licensed plumbing contractor for each installation, overhaul and test performed.

Effective April 1, 2009 permit applications received for the installation of a Reduced Pressure Zone (RPZ) device will be processed as a Plumbing Permit not an RPZ permit. Each installation will be processed as a fixture and the minimum permit fee will apply. A completed City of Minneapolis RPZ Test Report must be submitted with each installation.

Licensing Requirements

A homeowner who is the occupant of a single-family detached dwelling or single-family attached dwelling may apply for a permit to perform plumbing work as listed above on that property. (Note: single-family detached and attached dwellings as defined in Minneapolis Code of Ordinances, Section 89.30)

The City of Minneapolis issues licenses to plumbing contractors. A contractor applying for a license must either hold a City of Minneapolis Certificate of Competency at the master level or employ a tradesperson who does. Obtain a business license 

Last updated Apr 15, 2014